You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Wrap Indication

Is there any way to visually see if an image box has a text wrap assigned to it or not? Currently, we click on each image with the text wrap window open to see if it has been assigned correctly? Seem to me, there have has to be a better way of getting that feedback on text wraps in publisher. Maybe an indicator in the toolbar, or the layers pallet, or a ghosted outline of the text wrap (like in ID). It would be nice to see where the borders lie within the document. Only time I can see text wrap is to edit it, but it does not stay visible. Can you leave visibility turned on?

We have can have up to 12 images on a catalog spread with written copy. Seeing those text wrap borders would help our copy department see how the text in going to interact with the images before writing it. Page element feedback from publisher is a good thing and would help with the production efficiency. Having to click on each image and guess where the text wraps are going to hit based on the measurements is not very efficient.  

1 hour ago, jbartley said:

a ghosted outline of the text wrap

This!
When I first tested this feature a year or two ago, I couldn't believe something like this could have been deliberately omitted … :/

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

3 minutes ago, loukash said:

I couldn't believe something like this could have been deliberately omitted

I add my vote for a visual indication of insets in text frames or tables.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff

Hi @jbartley,

As mentioned above this is unfortunately not an option in Publisher currently, therefore I've moved this thread to the Feedback section of our forums for our devs to see and consider adding this in a future update.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Displaying text frame inset as visible guide accordingly feels quite related here.

Strange: In Affinity, it occurs in frames with more than 1 column only.
@Dan C, I still wonder if this limited appearance is deliberately coded "by design"?

193293291_textframeinsetguide.jpg.a2fcd39cd196f3981cafe385fbaa84e5.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff
On 5/1/2021 at 9:44 AM, thomaso said:

Strange: In Affinity, it occurs in frames with more than 1 column only.
@Dan C, I still wonder if this limited appearance is deliberately coded "by design"?

Apologies, I'm not 100% certain - I do believe this to be by design, but I'm double checking with our devs now to be sure and will respond here ASAP :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff
40 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I do believe this to be by design, but I'm double checking with our devs now to be sure

I can verify the devs have confirmed this is by design currently in Publisher, my apologies. Therefore I will log this as an internal Improvement request with them now!

I hope this helps :D

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 9 months later...

Looks like this is the topic I was about to raise. Why? Why? Why can't we see the outline of any text wrap we have set? This is so fundamental! In the attached image, I've set wrap around the picture to 4mm in both InDesign and Publisher - spot the difference. What's more galling is that if I set a wrap value by hitting the 'Show Text Wrap Settings' button, then innocently click 'Edit Wrap Outline', I can't see the outline! The editable shape starts at the edge of the image or graphic or frame, NOT where it's been set earlier. Without ranting ;-), I do hope this is addressed. Or am I missing something?

Wrapit.jpg

Roger Shufflebottom

www.avid-companion.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Staff

Unfortunately we don't tend to provide estimates for when feature requests may be implemented into the Affinity apps, my apologies - though I will 'bump' this request with our developers once more for you now :)

Please note -

Many thanks!