Sign in to follow this  
crabtrem

Simple Cartoon Effect

I haven't seen this before, so I figured I would share. This is a simple cartoon like effect. This is similar to the pseudo cell shading tutorial by Affinity, but that's because they used the edge detect tool too. So for what it's worth here we go.

First copy your background layer, CMD-J

Go to Filter, Detect, Detect Edges. Set the blend mode to subtract.

Add the adjustment layer, posterize. Adjust the levels for taste. My example uses 4.

That's it. Now you have a basic cartoon stylized picture. You can use all sorts of additional methods from here. But this seems a good starting point. Hope you find something useful in this. Cheers.

Fun! Thanks, simple is always a fave thing! :D

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

Gee I would have never thought of the steps you shown in replying to my help.  Thank you so much.  I hope in the upgrades Affinity is doing they will bring back the filters Comic & others as in Serif Photoplus.

DonS

Nice one, crabtrem! I especially like your use of Subtract and Posterise.

Out of interest, I posted a 'cartoon' note recently here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/41447-cartoon-effect-with-ap/

Things you can do in your method too include:

• Soften the jaggies with Gaussian Blur (tiny change may be all that's needed).
  • Simplify with Levels (gradually move up black slider).
  • Make lines monochrome with Black & White.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast Photo with i7-3770 + 16Gb RAM + Philips 40in 4K; Surface Pro 4 i5

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

On 10/7/2015 at 12:24 PM, crabtrem said:

I haven't seen this before, so I figured I would share. This is a simple cartoon like effect. This is similar to the pseudo cell shading tutorial by Affinity, but that's because they used the edge detect tool too. So for what it's worth here we go.

First copy your background layer, CMD-J

Go to Filter, Detect, Detect Edges. Set the blend mode to subtract.

Add the adjustment layer, posterize. Adjust the levels for taste. My example uses 4.

That's it. Now you have a basic cartoon stylized picture. You can use all sorts of additional methods from here. But this seems a good starting point. Hope you find something useful in this. Cheers.

Hi @crabtrem

You have shared the good and helpful information sure I will apply your crucial tips.

Daniel Dixon

PHP Developer