You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resize on export — Applying filters and adjustments *after* scaling?

I am processing large (24mpix 48-bit) TIFF files which are scans of negatives. I have applied many adjustment and filter layers:

Fill (remove colour cast), noise reduction, unsharp mask, curves, vibrance, and vignette

Once I have the result looking good at full size I want to export as a 1600px wide JPEG. However when I do this, the effect of noise reduction and sharpening is far too pronounced. As a comparison, I exported at full size and then loaded that JPEG back into Photo and downsized using the same algorithm and get a much smoother result. This implies Photo is downsizing the pixel layer and then applying my adjustments. Is this the case, and if so, can I get the downsize on export to apply to the fully processed, full-sized image?

Attached are examples of the difference. Both downsized from 6479 pixels wide to 1600 pixels using Lanczos 3 (separable).

Resized JPEG:

Resized from JPEG.jpg

Resized in Export window:

Reszied on export.jpg

Hi,

for operations like add/remove noise, sharpening, dust & scratches, or pixel-exact positioning of objects, you need to work at 100% zoom level to see the resulting effect correctly. Assuming your "full size" means zoom to fit (ctrl-0), and depending on your monitor size effectively beeing zommed out, this might explain the differences.

Having the "Navigator" tool active will help you to check your zoom level.

Kind regards,

Timo

image.png.7164e6184b0ec180aaa8359544d4872c.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I don't think it has anything to do with zoom levels. I'm talking about exported results looking different between performing the scale in the export window or later, using the same scaling algorithm. That is the only difference between my attached examples.

On 3/2/2021 at 7:51 PM, zkarj said:

This implies Photo is downsizing the pixel layer and then applying my adjustments.

Yes, that's the way Affinity performs a scaled export: each object is scaled and then an image is composited, instead of a full size image being composited and then scaled.

On 3/2/2021 at 7:51 PM, zkarj said:

can I get the downsize on export to apply to the fully processed, full-sized image?

You must first create a composite image at full size and then export a scaled version of that. Some alternative ways to make the full size composite:

• Document > Flatten command to destructively flatten all to one Pixel object
  • Layer > Merge Visible command to create a composite Pixel object without destructively flattening the document
  • select all objects then do Edit > Copy Merged followed by File > New From Clipboard to produce a separate document containing one Pixel object
  • export at full scale to a lossless PNG or TIFF and then open that in Affinity as one Pixel object

3 minutes ago, anon2 said:

Yes, that's the way Affinity performs a scaled export

Thanks for the confirmation.

It seems counterintuitive because filters such as noise reduction work on pixel sizes which, as illustrated, is going to create markedly different results depending on scale. This means Photo not a WYSIWYG editor, or at the least there should be a warning in the export window.

8 minutes ago, anon2 said:

Some alternative ways to make the full size composite

Thanks, I think the Merge Visible is the way to go for me, as it is easily created and removed for reprocessing.

That was my opinion I posted a while ago.(but just about unsharp filter)
Adding more filters would be nice I think.
Compared to other software, resized image on Affinity is too fuzzy.
Other software apply unsharp filter to the image internally.

• 1 month later...

Hi, found this post which seems close to the problem I have: I added a few jpgs to a batch job, set the dimensions to be reduced to 1200px and used a macro to add a logo to the images. I assumed, the image would be resized before the logo was added, but since the logo comes out too small it seems not. It would be good if one could set the order of processes. Any Idea to get around this in one step?

2 minutes ago, HaraldFfm said:

Hi, found this post which seems close to the problem I have: I added a few jpgs to a batch job, set the dimensions to be reduced to 1200px and used a macro to add a logo to the images. I assumed, the image would be resized before the logo was added, but since the logo comes out too small it seems not. It would be good if one could set the order of processes. Any Idea to get around this in one step?

First make two macros, one to resize the second to apply the logo. Now make a third consisting of the first macro then the second.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

18 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

First make two macros, one to resize the second to apply the logo. Now make a third consisting of the first macro then the second.

The Document>Resize does not allow to set maximum dimensions as in the batch job settings. So it is a problem if you have images in various aspect ratios.