You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selecting more sublayers at once

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Chita,

My apologies for the delayed response here, we are extremely busy following our 1.9 update and working from home is unfortunately extending our response window to be longer than normal, many thanks for your continued patience and understanding here.

Can you please confirm what you are referring to when you say "sublayer" please? I can see in your screenshot you have selected multiple nested Adjustment layers - so I'm not 100% certain what you're hoping to achieve currently.

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 2/11/2021 at 2:14 AM, Chita said:

Is not possible?

If you want to select the two layers named Dub in your screenshot then no it is not possible. One at a time is the only way right now.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

If you want to select the two layers named Dub in your screenshot then no it is not possible. One at a time is the only way right now.

(Designer & APhoto)

If you right-click an adjustment layer you can Select Same Tag Colour and Select Same Name 

selectsame.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

13 minutes ago, carl123 said:

If you right-click an adjustment layer you can Select Same Tag Colour and Select Same Name 

Doesn't work here on Mac OS 10.14.6. Just don't see the Select Same Tag Colour/Name when I right click / Control Click on the nested layers. I think this is a Mac Windows difference.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

8 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Doesn't work here on Mac OS 10.14.6. Just don't see the Select Same Tag Colour/Name when I right click / Control Click on the nested layers. I think this is a Mac Windows difference.

On my MacOS it behaves the same as on Win a right click and  ...

same_on_mac.jpg.e4b059cdb25b179ee7fb05c6b15525b9.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Ah, I see it is Clipped (innermost) versus Nested (?)  sublayers. Wrong terms I am sure. The innermost layers have a small menu when I right click on them

486258448_ScreenShot2021-03-05at8_21_36AM.png.14c0391d77cced58d0ee89706afd50e9.png 

And then when I have layers Nested or outside the Layer I can choose the Same Name/Tag colour item

190150589_ScreenShot2021-03-05at8_31_49AM.png.5977050228a24166052ed1a64bc87847.png

Maybe I have misunderstood what is wanted but on my Mac I can just CMD-click on as many items in the Layers panel as I want to select them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

15 minutes ago, R C-R said:

CMD-click on as many items in the Layers panel as I want to select them

Doesn't seem to work on "clipped" layers.
But the "same tag color" trick does.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

23 minutes ago, anon2 said:

It does work on clip-nested layers.

It works on what @Old Bruce called "nested" layers. But not on "clipped" layers, regardless if it's a mask, a pixel or a regular layer. (El Capitan here)

• Click or option-click the thumbnail will select just one of any amount of "clipped" layers.
  • Shift-click the thumbnail will enable or disable a "clipped" layer.
  • Click the name selects all children incl. the parent.
  • Command-click outside the thumbnale selects or deselect all or nothing, sometimes it activates the current layer name field

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, loukash said:

It works on what @Old Bruce called "nested" layers. But not on "clipped" layers, regardless if it's a mask, a pixel or a regular layer. (El Capitan here)

[...]

@Old Bruce's "nested" layers are clipped (clip-nested) layers, and his "clipped" layers are mask-nested layers.

When that confusion is cleared up, you'll see that my message was correct.

1 minute ago, anon2 said:

that confusion

Um, what's the "official" Serif terminology anyway…? :D

Just now, anon2 said:

the terms "clip-nest" and "mask-nest" from many posts by forum moderator @MEB.

Alright, that should likely count as an "authoritative reference"…