You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I see white on a transparent background?

43 minutes ago, loukash said:

I had a new idea and am already working on it. I'll be ready to "alpha-test" it in a few minutes. If it works as I'd like to have it, I'll post it here soon. Hold on!

Nope, it doesn't work. :(

My idea was a transparent PNG checkerboard, based on the premise that the "real" document background might be affected by Preferences > User Interface > Background/Artboard Gray Level.

designerapp_finder_innards.png.336db232ca4704ec9844e048486dcb58.png

So that the checkerboard.png would just darken the odd squares of the shade of gray you'd set up there.
But nada, the actual document/artboard background itself seems to be hardcoded as BLACK, no matter the surrounding document/artboard background shade of gray:

transparent_artboard_nope.png.5bc1532ded34e66adbb8c2ca29e104c5.png

But my idea with the transparent PNG works on the Layers panel background:

transparent_layers_panel_background.png.c278a8e173831dacc7ac5d843cac6241.png

So I wasn't all that far off… :)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

19 minutes ago, loukash said:

My idea was a transparent PNG checkerboard, based on the premise that the "real" document background might be affected by Preferences > User Interface > Background/Artboard Gray Level.

Nope, the prefs just effect the UI backgrounds, but not the checkerboard images, the later are just used as they are and not tweaked by those UI prefs settings here!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Just now, v_kyr said:

the prefs just [affect] the UI backgrounds, but not the checkerboard images

I know, but even the original checkerboard is opaque, hence we coudn't know what's exactly hidden behind it, without making the PNG transparent first. Now we know there a black hole… :S
So I'm back to my initial 40/60 checkerboard. For me it's all right as is.

(For the record: already back in the 90s I was a big fan of ResEdit, doing many nasty things to apps all the time. :D It's fun! Eventually bought zvab.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=15387405396  which made it even more fun.)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

17 minutes ago, loukash said:

...hence we coudn't know what's exactly hidden behind it, without making the PNG transparent first. Now we know there a black hole… :S

Well the area it occupies and covers is the initial setup doc/artboard area, for a normal setup document it's sized/filled with a white color tone and for a transparent doc then with the checkerboard image. One can think of it, let's say, like a sort of initial background layer which isn't directly added to the layers panel. So it's used like a layer[0] in an array and everything else a user adds is treated like layer[1] ... layer[n] in an array. - If you change a docs background from a normal white to a transparent doc, that layer[0] is exchanged accordingly.

The UI prefs settings don't effect and tweak that layer[0], it's actually excluded from such UI modifications.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

34 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

The UI prefs settings don't effect and tweak that layer[0], it's actually excluded from such UI modifications.

Whatever, at the bottom it is what it is: black.

My idea was partially based on how Illustrator CS5 handles it: when you enable transparency, the whole area where you can place objects is checkerboard, not just the actual page(s) in the middle:

doc_background_ai_finite.png.23b596fd811f7a54c5929f9073f8cfba.png:

^ That's the most you can zoom out, by the way.
AD, on the other hand, can zoom out nearly ad infinitum:

doc_background_ad_infinite.png.a34931bb392d5d7f986a99eda3e3b303.png

So a transparent page and its background look like this in AI CS5 @10% :

doc_background_ai_10pct.png.1994bc82e45091b7d2c1f4d811c6ac03.png

And like this in AD @10%:

doc_background_ad_10pct.png.87840fd1398cadbc3ff54f97bbe526b7.png

Both methods have their pros and contras.
In any case, I like it that I can set transparent background in APu as well. That's not possible with InDesign CS5.5 which is very annoying at times.

1 hour ago, PaulWilliamson said:

Is that the Dallas Cowboy's NFL logo loukash?

Haha, what's "Dallas Cowboy's NFL" anyway…?

"Seriously" though: No.
1) I'm European and have no clue about American sports whatsoever.
2) A few years ago when my sister-in-law's retired bank accountant husband wanted to chat with me about the Swiss soccer league, I urged him if we could talk about banking instead, even though I had no clue and frankly no interest in that topic either. In other words, I consider sports talk even more boring than bank talk. :P
3) Elsewhere, if anyone starts talking sports while I'm present, I'm leaving on the spot.
4) Or I refer them to my wife who is the CSO (Chief Sports Officer) of our family. Just last week we've rediscovered her lovingly maintained fan folder from the mid-70s while she was a prepubescent fan of a Schalke 04 player… :D

• 1 year later...

Well, for some reason I did not get notified of all the action here on this post. I just gave up on the idea of the checkerboard background and have not wandered back until just now. I do see the checkbox MEB mentioned and find that it does, in fact, resolve the issue I was having. Thank you all for weighing in with possibilities.

Is there a way to have transparency turned on by default in all new documents? I am not seeing a preference for it..

2 hours ago, twojtyniak said:

Is there a way to have transparency turned on by default in all new documents? I am not seeing a preference for it..

See Transparent background in New document dialog. 

https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/pages/GetStarted/NewDocument.html

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

24 minutes ago, PaulWilliamson said:

Is there a way to foward this to twojtyniak ? 

I got the email.

If that user visits the forum you can simply highlight the name by preceding it with the @ symbol. Like this

@twojtyniak, that notifies the person there's a post directed to them...

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

9 hours ago, twojtyniak said:

Well, for some reason I did not get notified of all the action here on this post. I just gave up on the idea of the checkerboard background and have not wandered back until just now. I

You can set up forum notifications to send you an email whenever someone responds to your post or to a thread you follow

You only need to do this once

Click the Bell icon at the top of the screen to see all your notification options

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

13 hours ago, PaulWilliamson said:

Is there a way to foward this to twojtyniak ? 

You could send him a private message about this. Just hover the pointer over "twojtyniak" on the left of a post by him or her & you will get a popup. One of the Options in it is "Message" so if you click that you can send a PM. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 month later...