You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On 1/27/2021 at 6:58 PM, walt.farrell said:

Passthrough is for Placed PDF files, not for Opened PDF files. It is used when you need to put a PDF file inside another document and just have it carried along (without editing) to the eventual PDF output that will be produced.

Even when you place a PDF with embedded Fonts and «Passthrough» selected in Publisher 1.9.3, the exported final PDF shows crooked fonts only. Very disappointing!

2 minutes ago, zeeloop said:

Very disappointing!

Could you upload a sample PDF that looks bad after export? Something the developers might me interested in.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

14 minutes ago, zeeloop said:

So it's actually a cropping bug.

You are correct. I saw this too right now. Just one thing I would like to know: The PDF you place, are the crop marks automatically added by the creator application or made manually? If the crop marks are from the creator application select TrimBox from the Page Box dropdown in the context toolbar.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

14 minutes ago, zeeloop said:

A workaround is to paste the PDF inside a invisible rectlangle instead of cropping the PDF. So it's actually a cropping bug.

What way do you crop the PDF experiencing a font issue on export? – Are you using the page box options in the context tool bar? They are set independently of the Passthrough option.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, zayca said:

I am pissed off as hell. I bought publisher in order to combine some PDFs in one document  but after I use Add pages from file i get unreadable fonts.  This is a joke? 

The most likely cause is that you do not have the fonts installed on your computer. When using Open or Add Pages from File, you are opening the PDF for editing, which requires that you have the fonts installed. 

If you don't need to edit, you should use File > Place instead, and specify Passthrough mode.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi. Make sure that you «place» the PDF in your Affinity document and not to «open» the PDF with Affinity. And it is important to leave the setting «PDF Passthrough» as «Passthrough» instead of changing it to «Interpret». This way your placed PDF will show all the embedded fonts perfectly.

No difference with Adobe, Illustrator is showing the PDF correct when «placed» in a document, but of course messes up the embedded fonts in the PDF when actually «opening» the PDF file.

The matter hasn't got anything to do with Affinity. It's partly due to font licensing and stuff.

33 minutes ago, zeeloop said:

The matter hasn't got anything to do with Affinity. It's partly due to font licensing and stuff.

Well, it is something that Serif have chosen not to implement. Even if the embedded fonts are free of any licensing restrictions, the Affinity applications will not make use of them. We do not know if Serif made that choice so they could ignore the licensing considerations, or for some other reason.

Other apps will make use of the embedded fonts, so this is something that Affinity users specifically need to consider.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 8 months later...

Late to this party as we have just hit this issue.  If I remember correctly, CorelDraw had an option to import a PDF as curves, so it converted the embedded fonts to curves on import, giving a visually identical, but not editable, PDF page import.  From what I can see, AP rasterises the 'Placed' PDF which mostly looks OK, but doesn't seem to be as efficient a solution to importing PDFs without their fonts.

I have found an option in Foxit PDF Editor to convert a PDF to curves: Edit Object > Text > Select text strings (Ctrl+A to select all) > Convert to Shape
- but it would be nice to have that as an option on PDF import into AP.