You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I can not figure out why, when i add a new text area in the middle of two text area's that were already linked, and I try to move the link the text in the new text area keeps the styles but the text is super small. Any help would be appreciated. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 5.16.00 PM.png

Hi jmcw,
Welcome to the Affinity forums!

2 hours ago, jmcw said:

I try to move the link

What do you mean with "move the link"?
Could it have happened that you scaled a text frame by dragging its outer handle in the lower right corner?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I have a document with existing text areas that linked. I need to add more text in the middle of the existing text areas, so i add a new page and create a new text area. I then drag the text area from the top text area, to the new text area. 

I'm definitely dragging in the lower right corner, so it that changing the scale/font size? 

1 minute ago, jmcw said:

I'm definitely dragging in the lower right corner, so it that changing the scale/font size? 

Probably. Make a new text frame and size it using the side/top/bottom handle, delete the weird frame and link the new one.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

My 2ç.

To avoid any further confusion what handle to use when manipulating text boxes, Affinity should consider removing the Sizing Handle from ordinary text frames and only leave it in Artistic Text frames.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

6 minutes ago, Seneca said:

To avoid any further confusion what handle to use when manipulating text boxes, Affinity should consider removing the Sizing Handle from ordinary text frames and only leave it in Artistic Text frames.

Please Never ever !!!  Why should experienced users lose a feature because less experienced don't know how to handle it?

I'd rather prefer an additional button to reset a frame which got scaled this way back to its initial 100 % size, ideally with a field in the Transform Panel which also shows the current scaling factor.

36 minutes ago, Seneca said:

only leave it in Artistic Text frames

You can’t leave something that isn’t there! An Artistic Text frame doesn’t have (and doesn’t need) a separate sizing handle.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

14 minutes ago, Alfred said:

You can’t leave something that isn’t there! An Artistic Text frame doesn’t have (and doesn’t need) a separate sizing handle.

Maybe the feature was meant to get moved, based on a conclusion like this:

1.   If users ask how to use a feature then they would not ask the same questions when the feature doesn't exist.
+ 2.   Since users didn't ask yet how to use the feature with Artistic Text Frames then the feature does not confuse them there.
= 3.   So the best would be to have the feature at Artistic Text frames.

🦄

There are no Artistic Text Frames.

1. There are Text Frames, created by the Frame Text Tool, which hold Frame Text.
  2. There is Artistic Text, created by the Artistic Text Tool. Artistic Text does not have a frame, though it does have a Bounding Box (which may happen to look like a frame, but isnt).

(There are also

• Shape Text and Curve Text (created by clicking on a shape or curve with the Frame Text Tool) and
  • Shape Path Text and Curve Path Text (created by clicking on a shape or curve with the Artistic Text Tool),

but I dont think they are relevant to this discussion.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

There are no Artistic Text Frames.

1. There are Text Frames, created by the Frame Text Tool, which hold Frame Text.
  2. There is Artistic Text, created by the Artistic Text Tool. Artistic Text does not have a frame, though it does have a Bounding Box (which may happen to look like a frame, but isnt).

What exactly are you talking about – and with what purpose?

This shows an Artistic Text Frame with its visible Frame handles and a frame stroke assigned via the Text Frame Panel:

926157877_artistictextframe.jpg.0443160a7ef30bebb73024a36b42f7bc.jpg

What comes next? Clarification about the term "Artistic" and it's proper use?

Interesting, @thomaso I didn't realize that the Text Frame panel also applied to Artistic Text. Thanks.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

... I didn't realize that the Text Frame panel also applied to Artistic Text. Thanks.

With severe restrictions, essentially all you can use is the Stroke and Fill colour.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I didn't realize that the Text Frame panel also applied to Artistic Text. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

essentially all you can use is the Stroke and Fill colour.

... and, of cause, their frame handles.

(even if one might prefer a term like "bounding box handles" (btw: are they really "handles", and is the "box" indeed a box?) ;–)

1 minute ago, thomaso said:

(even if one might prefer a term like "bounding box handles" (btw: are they really "handles", and is the "box" indeed a box?) ;–)

So we need to think outside of the boxes?

Just now, prophet said:

We gotta get that fixed soon!

Serif hardly can "fix" an unintended use of a helpful feature.
The only fix I can think of is at the users end, e.g. by experimenting the UI, reading the Help, watching tutorials ... getting experienced.

4 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Serif hardly can "fix" an unintended use of a helpful feature.
The only fix I can think of is at the users end, e.g. by experimenting the UI, reading the Help, watching tutorials ... getting experienced.

It has been suggested that the UI should at least include some indication that the UI should include some indication that a text frame was scaled, and some way to reset it to an "unscaled" state. That might "fix" the issue.

(Of course, there is one known bug where the issue happens when importing IDML. And enough users have said they did not use the scaling handle that perhaps there is another bug. But so far no one has been able to provide a recipe to recreate it without having scaled the frame.)

-- Walt
PC:

3 minutes ago, prophet said:

If the majority of users who use a "feature" do it by accident and end up confused and frustrated,

What "majority"? Do you mean the ~dozen of forum questions regarding this handle? In my opinion the majority understands how it works.

If users use a feature "by accident" they might "fix" their intention. The UI quite clear shows 2 (in words: two) handles in the bottom right corner. No need to ignore their occurrence just because of a lack of interest.

On 9/15/2020 at 11:51 AM, thomaso said:

What "majority"? Do you mean the ~dozen of forum questions regarding this handle? In my opinion the majority understands how it works.

If users use a feature "by accident" they might "fix" their intention. The UI quite clear shows 2 (in words: two) handles in the bottom right corner. No need to ignore their occurrence just because of a lack of interest.

Another 2 folks having trouble with the "feature."  Note the key phrases: "maybe I did unintentionally", "I am new affinity user" , "Is there a way to identify the text frames that have been rescaled?"