You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

text conversion to curve

I'm curious how that would improve efficiency. And, efficiency of what?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Walt,

I think Aji is requesting that Designer be able to convert grouped text or grouped geometric shapes to curves. If you have a lot of text that is grouped and you want to convert it to curves, it seems that you have to ungroup them and then convert them all individually instead of being able to convert the whole group. 

Hokusai

Thanks, Hokusai.

But part of the reason I asked is that I'm not sure why one would need to convert all that text to curves. For example, if one is exporting to PDF and needs the text as curves there, one can leave it as curves text in the Designer document and just convert to curves in the PDF during Export.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

That's a good point Walt and I think that most people would do it that way but there are times when it would be useful. I seem to recall that there used to be some fonts that won't convert to curves (or outlines) because of licensing issues. It used to be an issue once in a while and I'm not sure if that kind of issue still persists but it might. As well as text, you can't change geometric shapes to curves either if they are grouped. A more practical example, from my viewpoint, is geometric shapes that are grouped with text that you'd like to convert the text to curves but can't unless you ungroup them first. Many logos are made with an oval, rectangle, etc and combined with some text. If you'd like to change the text to curves, you can't if the objects are grouped and it would be more efficient if you could apply a "convert to curves" action to grouped objects. 

• 1 month later...

Yes please!! I did this quite often in AI. I would much rather have the ability to Convert To Curves an entire document and catch all grouped objects before exporting. It drives me nuts having to ungroup and find all items that could possibly cause issues if not converted.

• 3 weeks later...

Not so long ago I changed from Illustrator to Affinity Designer. To prepare my design (with tons of items) for etching, I need to deliver it with all text converted to curves. I discovered, as the topic starter, that this in not possible and you would have to find every text individually. But the suggestion of exporting it as PDF works. Only not mentioned is that at the export window, you need to click on "More" and choose Embed fonts > Text as curves.