You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why does frame text tool always have gray background (Photo)

Every Frame Text I create and paste or type text into has a gray background on every letter, no matter the font, or the color settings, or seemingly anything. This seems like nothing more than a terrible bug, but I can't find anyway to make it be a more normal white. Photo 1.8.3 on Catalina, iMac, Metal.

Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 9.50.10 AM.png

Device: Apple M1 Ultra 64GB Ventura 13.0.1 Apple Studio Display

- Andrew

You have a Character background colour applied.

With colour

1304420224_ScreenShot2020-06-07at7_58_00AM.png.6cce7075386b220b2565d65464cd53f3.png

Without colour

360158737_ScreenShot2020-06-07at7_58_36AM.png.4db931d9314b760451bb9cb6adacb11a.png

See how there is a little red line in the well on the without picture?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 3 years later...

I have this same problem, but the background colour is already crossed out.  Only does it on one document.  So I am wondering if a bug has crept in on the one saved file.  I have to create a text box outside of this document and then copy the text box into this document.  If I create a new text box or art text box it has a grey background.

A screenshot of the problem would help, @Graphical Chris, as there are several similar effects caused by different settings. It would also help to know what application and release you're using.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I am using Affinity Publisher 2.1.1.  I have placed an Artistic text and a text box on the page and you can see there is a light grey behind the text.  Background colour is off.  if you select a background colour, it actually protrudes past the confines of the boxes by a couple of mm's, unlike what this is currently doing, just staying within the confines of the boxes.

In order to bring in a text box or artistic text box without this background colour, I have to open up a brand new document, add the text box to this new document, copy the text box and then go back to my original document and past the text box into it.  After that the text box behaves properly, but I can't add text boxes or artistic text through the normal channels of adding these items.

image.jpeg.3073cfe428d4bd0a4ebdd091c60955f1.jpeg

Thanks. Check the Text Frame panel, where you should be able to remove the background color for the frame.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 1 month later...

The Text Frame Panel is only available in Publisher, via the Window/Text menu (in V2) or the View/Studio menu (in V1).

If you can’t open the document in Publisher then the only ‘fix’ that I know of for this is to select the ‘problem layer’ and use the “Revert Defaults” functionality (usually in the Toolbar – cog icon (in V2), or 'blob' icon (in V1), with diagonal red line through it).

7 minutes ago, marksthompson said:

Having same problem (grey background in Text Frame Panel) not character background colour.  Where can I find the Text Frame Panel.  Sorry, If I am being dense.

The Text Frame panel is only in Publisher.

Do you have the Publisher app?

If yes, you can find it under...

Window > Text > Text Frame

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi Carl.  The issue is in Designer V2.2.1. I am not sure you are correct when you say it is only in Publisher. (I do Have Publisher but that is not where the problem is). I have had this problem before in Designer but cannot remember what I did.  The user guides say Text Frame Panel  is accessed via View > Studio. On Designer it is accessed through Window > Studio > Left Studio. The 'Left Studio' option is greyed out in Designer and the only option offered seems to be to reset Studio which I am reluctant to do as I do not know what it will affect. So, the problem really is why can't I access Left Studio to get at the Text Frame Panel?

22 minutes ago, marksthompson said:

What am I missing?

You have to open your document using Publisher if you want to access Text frame panel. 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

24 minutes ago, marksthompson said:

Further investigation: I reset Studio (Window > Studio > Reset Studio) on my other Mac. Left Frame Panel is now accessible but I stall cannot find a way of enabling Text Frame Panel. It is not on the options list from the WINDOW Tab.  What am I missing?

As the others said, the Text Frame panel is only in Publisher (and there, only in the Publisher Persona). It is not in Designer.

Try the Revert Defaults approach that Garry mentioned (just above Carl).

-- Walt
PC:

Ok Guys.  Thanks. I see I can fix in Publisher as you all said.  This is a pain, but is fixable.  Surely this is a bug if something can change In Designer but can only be fixed in Publisher?  I think changed by the app, I did not knowingly change anything.

Thanks again for help to understand issue and know how to resolve.

1 hour ago, marksthompson said:

Surely this is a bug if something can change In Designer but can only be fixed in Publisher?

It can usually be fixed in Designer using Revert Defaults.

I'm not sure anyone knows why it sometimes gets stuck that way in Designer, unless it's via Copy/Paste from some outside source, or by working on a document that was originally created in Publisher.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 month later...

I was experiencing the same issue on a Mac (Affinity Designer 2 / 2.3.0) – a color background in the text box (not sure why it started to appear recently). 

In Designer, I used the Revert defaults button, as suggested by Walt.

Alternatively, you can use Revert in the Edit > Defaults menu.

Either method eliminates the background and reverts text settings to the default text. 

I attached a couple of screenshots for reference.

Revert defaults button.png

Edit > Defaults.png