You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot locate photo update on Mac (split)

So I’ve excitedly gone to upgrade - Publisher went fine via your Store!  Designer updated through the Mac App Store, but Photo is left high and dry for some reason!  I purchased Photo around 11 January 2016, but I can’t find any method to update it, it doesn’t have an an option to Check for Updates, and I’ve restarted it several times and won’t automatically check and offer to update here either. On your Store I’m just getting the option to buy again and there’s no record of either purchase of Designer and Photo (Oct 2015/Jan 2016). Am I overlooking something?

iMac 27 (late 2009 - I know !!! …but it still does it for me!), 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 12 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

• Staff

Hi Spookbrush,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
If Affinity Photo doesn't have the Check for Updates command you have probably bought it through the Mac App Store (only the Affinity Store version have the Check for Updates command). Run the Mac App Store, go to the Updates section and check if you have the Photo update there. Let me know if you still have trouble.

10 hours ago, Leigh said:

@Eric de Vette Check out these instructions to see if that helps: https://affinityspotlight.com/article/how-to-install-affinity-updates/

One minor nitpick I have about that article is that it says in part:

If you’ve purchased from the Mac App Store—updates are done automatically next time you run your software after it is available in the Mac App Store.

This is not necessarily true because users have a number of System Preference options that determine if app updates are done automatically or not. It used to be relatively easy to see them but as of Mojave Apple decided to (over)simplify that to a single "Automatically keep my Mac up-to-date" checkbox with the additional options accessible only if users click the "Advanced" button, which on Mojave looks like this:

731725442_Advancedupdateoptions.jpg.8e07215ad38f0b350f348cd8ae7a04ad.jpg

As you can see, there are several options that if unchecked will prevent (among other things) Mac App Store updates from being installed automatically. The App Store app itself also has a preference that determines if Mac App Store updates will automatically be downloaded & installed.

I do not think the article needs to mention all these details but a small change in the wording, like maybe "updates are done automatically if enabled in your preferences," might avoid some of the confusion about why they may have not updated automatically.

Just a thought.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@R C-R You are 100% correct in your statement and screen shot; however, this failed in my case.  1.8.0/1 required me to go to AP product page, search AP, and then it changed from Open to Update.  My settings are all checked in System Preference.  This is the first time it failed, odd both AP updates.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

2 hours ago, Cecil said:

My settings are all checked in System Preference.

Can I assume the option to download & install MAS updates is also ticked in the App Store app itself?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

41 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Can I assume the option to download & install MAS updates is also ticked in the App Store app itself?

Yes macOS is checked and have plenty of time to uncheck before Apple releases a major or minor OS update.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

15 minutes ago, Cecil said:

Yes macOS is checked and have plenty of time to uncheck before Apple releases a major or minor OS update.

I am asking about the preference in the Mac App Store application:

123809541_MASprefs.jpg.3a4b817c25cbb5f5e230b462be717a7b.jpg

I assume it is linked to the system preferences somehow but I am not sure about that.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Yes.  I have other Mac computers and Video Auto Play unchecked.

Cecil 

Although it was checked, AP 1.8.0/1, I had to go to MAC App Store, search Affinity Photo, click Affinity Photo and Open changed to update.  I was totally caught off guard reading forum on iPad that the update was released.  Also extremely disappointed that round trip Apple Photos/Affinity Photo was not fixed.  I have a workaround.  The New Templates, on a 27”, 5K iMac menu screen has to be stretch to see scroll bar. 10.5 iPad Pro works as is, so to speak.  iPad lacks all three bottom left options, for Templates.

Cecil 

2 hours ago, Cecil said:

I was totally caught off guard reading forum on iPad that the update was released.

I didn't see the notice in the iPad forum. I am not sure why I am not seeing timely notices about Affinity updates, although that is a topic for another discussion.

Anyway, I decided to check on my iPad for updates on a hunch, & after some difficulty getting to the updates section in the redesigned App Store app on my iPad, those updates installed without any issues. I can't comment on the roundtrip issue as I have not explored that feature since updating to the 1.8 versions.

2 hours ago, Cecil said:

The New Templates, on a 27”, 5K iMac menu screen has to be stretch to see scroll bar.

There is no need to do that on my non-retina 27" iMac. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but in System Preferences > General I have "Show scroll bars" set to "Always."

2 hours ago, Cecil said:

iPad lacks all three bottom left options, for Templates.

I think the closest equivalent of those options have to be done directly in the iPad Files app, possibly because of Apple's stricter sandboxing requirements about how apps can share data. A PITA for sure, but workable.

Edited by R C-R

Affinity Photo 

16 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I didn't see the notice in the iPad forum. I am not sure why I am not seeing timely notices about Affinity updates, although that is a topic for another discussion.

Sometimes announcement posts are composed, and then posted as "hidden" items until it's time to make the announcement public. When that's done, I think that some functions like "unread posts" and forum subscriptions won't pick them up, because when they are eventually "unhidden" they're no longer "new" posts.

That's why Serif recommends subscribing to a few specific topics in the News forum, as they are always posted normally when it's time, and will show up by all the usual notification mechanisms

You may not find out about something quite as quickly as if you'd picked up the main announcement of a new release, but you'll definitely pick it up if you subscribe to those.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

24 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You may not find out about something quite as quickly as if you'd picked up the main announcement of a new release, but you'll definitely pick it up if you subscribe to those.

As I said, that is a topic for another discussion but briefly, my problem is that ever since the update to the forum software, the notices about new posts has been acting erratically. I have not as yet determined if that is because of some issue on my end or Serif's.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff
3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Sometimes announcement posts are composed, and then posted as "hidden" items until it's time to make the announcement public. When that's done, I think that some functions like "unread posts" and forum subscriptions won't pick them up, because when they are eventually "unhidden" they're no longer "new" posts

True, and even I get caught out by beta forum posts by some developers, however I never post hidden anymore because users subscribed to that forum would not be notified. News and Announcements made by me are posted live and do notify.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

think the closest equivalent of those options have to be done directly in the iPad Files app, possibly because of Apple's stricter sandboxing requirements about how apps can share data. A PITA for sure, but workable.

I understand to a point.  If Apple allows AP iPadOS to access your Files App,  read/write.enabled, isn’t the Add New Templates items that you sourced and approved?  Why not allow folder or embedded link..

ipadOS App Store, simple touch your icon, scroll screen, spinning ball, and updates list provided.  My iPhone XS will already have some downloaded and install.  Although I authorize iPad same permissions, it doesn’t,

let me know how your experience goes with Apple Photos.

Cecil 

1 minute ago, Cecil said:

I understand to a point.  If Apple allows AP iPadOS to access your Files App,  read/write.enabled, isn’t the Add New Templates items that you sourced and approved?

I don't know what the specific sandboxing limitations are on iOS/iPadOS data sharing, so I can't answer that.

5 minutes ago, Cecil said:

ipadOS App Store, simple touch your icon, scroll screen, spinning ball, and updates list provided.

I know that is how it is supposed to work but for some unknown reason nothing happened when I touched my icon until I shut down & restarted my iPad.

17 minutes ago, Cecil said:

let me know how your experience goes with Apple Photos.

In what respect? I have successfully installed AP 1.8.0.168 on my iPad. The latest releases page just says 1.8.0 with no suffix but I assume the 168 version is the most current one. In the Files app I created a "Templates" folder on my iPad & in AP used the Document item "Export As Template" to save a few documents to it. In AP, "New From template" works fine with those files. To delete any of them, I can do that in the Files app.

I have not done any more testing than that.

Affinity Photo 

@R C-R AP Desktop version, round trip Apple Photos - AP.  Please excuse my lack of coherent details in my post. Past three days in process of passing yet another Kidney Stone.

I understand the iPad Templates process, I wish they had implement the same process as Desktop.  Eliminates the need to be directed to Files App and Templates folder (s).

Cecil 

@Cecil, I hope your kidney stone ordeal ends soon.

I have not yet tested any round-tripping between 1.8 desktop & iPad apps, but when I do is there anything in particular you want to know about that or just my general impressions? Like with the templates workarounds, I suspect Serif is limited to what Apple's sandboxing will allow that would otherwise simplify/streamline that process.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

@Cecil, I hope your kidney stone ordeal ends soon.

I have not yet tested any round-tripping between 1.8 desktop & iPad apps, but when I do is there anything in particular you want to know about that or just my general impressions? Like with the templates workarounds, I suspect Serif is limited to what Apple's sandboxing will allow that would otherwise simplify/streamline that process.

Your impression and if you discover any problems.  Thank you.

Cecil 

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

know that is how it is supposed to work but for some unknown reason nothing happened when I touched my icon until I shut down & restarted my iPad.

One suggestion, turn if off, hard restart and turn it back on. My guess, first thing you tried in problem solving.

Cecil 

• Staff
On 2/28/2020 at 9:15 PM, R C-R said:

One minor nitpick I have about that article is that it says in part:

This is not necessarily true because users have a number of System Preference options that determine if app updates are done automatically or not. It used to be relatively easy to see them but as of Mojave Apple decided to (over)simplify that to a single "Automatically keep my Mac up-to-date" checkbox with the additional options accessible only if users click the "Advanced" button, which on Mojave looks like this:

731725442_Advancedupdateoptions.jpg.8e07215ad38f0b350f348cd8ae7a04ad.jpg

As you can see, there are several options that if unchecked will prevent (among other things) Mac App Store updates from being installed automatically. The App Store app itself also has a preference that determines if Mac App Store updates will automatically be downloaded & installed.

I do not think the article needs to mention all these details but a small change in the wording, like maybe "updates are done automatically if enabled in your preferences," might avoid some of the confusion about why they may have not updated automatically.

Just a thought.

Thanks @R C-R I'm going to make an FAQ in the near future about updating, so will include this information and see I I can get that link updated too. Thanks!

Thanks MEB, 2 big apologies due to you...

1. I hadn't realised you had answered so quickly - I've been checking every day in the wrong place !!

2. When I first read your message I assumed (wrongly) that I it wasn't going to help,  I thought I'd bought 'Photo' at a discounted offer price from Affinity directly, especially as there was no update option showing for it in the Mac's App Store like there had been for 'Designer'. So, I've checked again under apps 'purchased' - found Photo there and downloaded/installed it again. 1.8.1 all present and correct!! Cheers!

Many thanks for your time and I'll concentrate a little more next time I'm around!

• Staff

@Spookbrush

47 minutes ago, Spookbrush said:

I hadn't realised you had answered so quickly - I've been checking every day in the wrong place !!

Please don't apologise, I split your post and was unaware that the new split thread is (by default) not followed by the author. This is my mistake and I will try to be more diligent when splitting threads in future to add in the OP to the new thread. I am worried how many years I have been doing this unaware the users would never see the answers given :(

48 minutes ago, Spookbrush said:

1.8.1 all present and correct!!

Yey, good news then.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon