You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dictionary for Publisher

Hi,

I never knew there was a spell check option until the new release! I excitedly clicked the little bell icon (yellow) for the pre-flight check feature and got 152 warnings, all for "Missing dictionary for language (en-IE)".

How can I install or set up the dictionary? Do I have to download a dictionary, where from? Or, alternatively, how can I tell Affinity to change the language to "en-UK" so it will start checking my spelling?

Thanks a mill.

Craig

• Staff

Hi Wag :)

Firstly, please navigate to Text>Spelling>Check Spelling when typing and make sure this option is checked.

Now, select all your text objects and open the Character Studio. Under the 'Language' dropdown you can set the Spelling Language, by default you should find ENG-UK in this list.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Hi paulo Dekker,

Welcome to the forums :)

Could you please confirm for me, are you using Windows or Mac?

I'm glad to hear this Wag, thanks for letting me know!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that, on Windows please use the below instructions:

Spelling dictionaries are installed for the languages supported by Affinity apps, except for Chinese, Japanese and Russian. To install for these languages do the following:

1. Visit the OpenOffice™ website and download the appropriate language dictionary or try an internet search for "spelling dictionaries".
  2. Create a language code folder (e.g., ru_RU) in C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries and copy the downloaded dictionary files into this folder.
  3. Restart app.

Unfortunately it's not possible to install custom dictionaries on the iPad currently, apologies! 

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Apologies, these files need to be either .aff or .dic files for Affinity to detect them. If you're unable to find these filetypes through OpenOffice you may have more luck from LibreOffice github page - 

https://github.com/LibreOffice/dictionaries

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

On 2/28/2020 at 1:09 PM, Dan C said:

Apologies, these files need to be either .aff or .dic files for Affinity to detect them. If you're unable to find these filetypes through OpenOffice you may have more luck from LibreOffice github page - 

https://github.com/LibreOffice/dictionaries

This is not working for me. 

Is there an easy way to get a US English dictionary installed for Mac?

• Staff

Hi gumbo23 :)

The instructions provided above are for Windows, please see the below FAQ for instructions on how to add dictionaries on Mac OS -

I hope this helps!

Please note -

Many thanks!

11 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi gumbo23 :)

The instructions provided above are for Windows, please see the below FAQ for instructions on how to add dictionaries on Mac OS -

I hope this helps!

I'm afraid I can't follow this at all. I've gone to https://github.com/hunspell/hunspell/releases

And downloaded this hunspell-1.7.0.tar.gz

But it's a mass of files that I don't understand.

I could not find any .aff or .dic files. 

Can you give me some more detailed guidance?

(The MacOS dictionary is set to US English but AFP is apparently not connecting with it. I've tried restarting AFP, but no joy)

10 minutes ago, gumbo23 said:

(The MacOS dictionary is set to US English but AFP is apparently not connecting with it. I've tried restarting AFP, but no joy)

Are the various languages in Publisher set to use US English? Check the preferences in Publisher : Abbreviations, Auto-Correct, Filler Text, General and finally Title Exceptions.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Are the various languages in Publisher set to use US English? Check the preferences in Publisher : Abbreviations, Auto-Correct, Filler Text, General and finally Title Exceptions.

No - there is no option for US English in these preferences.

Screenshot 2020-03-19 at 14.27.54.png

Screenshot 2020-03-19 at 14.28.54.png

• 6 months later...
On 2/28/2020 at 9:55 AM, Dan C said:

Now, select all your text objects and open the Character Studio. Under the 'Language' dropdown you can set the Spelling Language, by default you should find ENG-UK in this list.

It is silly to have to do this for every textframe in the document. Isn't it possible to assign the Spelling Language for the whole document at once, or better yet: for the Affinity programs globally?

Another issue: The dutch hyphenation has some errors (for example "coronas- teunregeling" instead of corona- steunregeling). I should be able to correct this, even if it is only locally on my own mac, but i can't find a way to do this.

2 hours ago, AlbertEp said:

It is silly to have to do this for every textframe in the document. Isn't it possible to assign the Spelling Language for the whole document at once, or better yet: for the Affinity programs globally?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

If you use a language that is supported as the User Interface (UI) language, that language will be the default for your documents. Unfortunately, Dutch is not one of the UI languages, so that won't work for you.

Next approach: if you use Text Styles for everything, all the standard text styles inherit from the Base style, and you can edit that style and set the language as you want.

Also: if you set one Text Frame to the language you want, say on a Master Page, then any other frames that inherit from that Master Page should have the language you want.

Finally, and perhaps easiest, if you draw a Text Frame, and then set the language in the Character panel, that language will also be used for the next Text Frame you draw.

But no, there is no document setting for the language.

2 hours ago, AlbertEp said:

Another issue: The dutch hyphenation has some errors (for example "coronas- teunregeling" instead of corona- steunregeling). I should be able to correct this, even if it is only locally on my own mac, but i can't find a way to do this.

Did you install the Dutch dictionary, or are you using one supplied by the OS?

By the way, we generally recommend not using your email address as your forum name. It's very easy for email spammers to gather your email address here if you use it as your name. You can change it at https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/settings/username if you want to.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Walt,

All 3 approaches you mention make sense and work. It takes time to adjust to the workflow after using ID for so many years, even if it makes sense.

About the hyphenation-issue: i checked with Indesign and it makes the same mistake (coronas- teunregeling), so it must be the OS dictionary. I will figure out how to fix that.

btw: The forum name has lightning fast been taken care of by the Affinity-staff )

• 1 year later...

Hi

I add .aff and .dic files. Restart app. Language is the same as my windows primary langage - Polish.
Affinity Publisher saw the dictionary files and then every word underline in red. 

If I checked "Learn spelling" then it add to dictionary and the word is recognize and red underline dissapear for it.

Why Affinity checked every one word as mistake, as he didn't recognize them? 
I downloaded dictionaries from Libre Office github page: dictionaries/pl_PL at master · LibreOffice/dictionaries · GitHub

PS: I had to add both files (.aff and .dic) for Affinity to see and handle them. If i add only one of them Affinity don't see them at all.

OS System: Windows 10.

2 hours ago, MarcinD said:

Why Affinity checked every one word as mistake, as he didn't recognize them?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Possibly you downloaded them incorrectly, such is easy to do at that page. It's easier to download the files from the second post in this FAQ, I think:

If you want to check your files, examine them with a text editor. They should be plain text, and should not look like HTML when you look at them.

If they are OK, then perhaps you have the language for those words specified incorrectly. You can check that in the Character panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 6 months later...

I have just been trying to install a New Zealand dictionary on Affinity and read through these posts. You can install using the .OXT files. You first have to open it in WinRAR or WinZIP etc and unpack it. Inside you will find the .DIC and .AFF files as previously mentioned. Move this into the folder....

On 2/29/2020 at 12:22 AM, Dan C said:
  • Create a language code folder (e.g., ru_RU) in C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries and copy the downloaded dictionary files into this folder.
  • Restart app.

and you'll be good to go.

• 1 year later...
On 2/28/2020 at 10:55 AM, Dan C said:

Hi Wag :)

Firstly, please navigate to Text>Spelling>Check Spelling when typing and make sure this option is checked.

I hope this helps!

This is the best answer I've seen anywhere. Just select all the text and use the character panel>language and change all to whatever language you want. Far faster by far than going style by style.

1 hour ago, charlesbewlay said:

This is the best answer I've seen anywhere. Just select all the text and use the character panel>language and change all to whatever language you want. Far faster by far than going style by style.

The problem with doing that is when you apply a text style in the future, the language will be changed. It's always better to define the language in the style.

If you already created all your text styles and forgot to set Language and don't want to mess with it, you can easily update them all at once, or at least with just a few changes. Sort the Text Styles panels as hierarchical and then edit the style groups for paragraph styles. For many documents, all of the paragraph styles will be under "Base" so just edit Base and set the spelling language. All of the other styles will likely inherit this change.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)