You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mirroring consume 100% of my CPU

Hanu

This really surprise me. 
I've been trying Mirroring but instantly I heard all the power of my fans, was really weird cause when I'm using Blender is really silent.
So, I launched the task manager and... look that! 

All the work is over my CPU, meanwhile my Quadro is just yawning!

So I wonder, if this is a this a bug

image.thumb.png.8325ca537cc85e885daaa2075a3ccbc0.png

• Staff

Hey Hanu,

I'm not so sure this is a bug unless it is causing you any performance issues. Affinity will always, when possible, use 100% of your CPU.

If I enable Symmetry mode, I can only get my CPU to about 75% when I aggressively squiggle on the canvas with the same settings you are using. Can you check to see if you are using WARP from Preferences > Performance? If I set my machine to use WARP I hit 100% usage instantly.

@Hanu

Whilst the CPU here does the bulk of the work, it certainly isn't being pushed that hard (also the video is being recorded at the same time).

The attached video shows the CPU usage as the Mirror Filter is exercised.

My PC has an aging i7-2600 Sandy Bridge CPU, 16GB of RAM and a GTX1050ti 4G graphics card.

OS is Windows 10Pro, 64 bit v1093 build 18362.418

The image I've used is 4912px x 3264px.

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

5 minutes ago, Greyfox said:

My PC has an aging i7-2600 Sandy Bride CPU

I’m guessing you meant to type ‘Sandy Bridge’!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

9 minutes ago, Chris B said:

it looks like the OP is using the Symmetry mode for the Paint Brush Tool, not the filter

Yep, now I've looked more closely at his screen shot, I can see that.

Never mind, it gave me a chance to play with the Mirror Filter :5_smiley:

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

• Staff

Hey Hanu,

The screenshot tells me you aren't using WARP which is located under Renderer as Joachim_L said.

What size is the document you're drawing on? I've got one set to 8000 px x 4000 px @300dpi and it's a bit laggy but not impossible to work with. If I reduce the size it gets much better. We're also rendering twice the information in Symmetry mode and you're doing long, continuous lines which could start to slow the app down outside of Symmetry mode.

I'm not worried that your CPU is 100% as we will push to use whatever is available. I am concerned that you are experiencing the lag though. 

• Staff

Hey Hanu,

On macOS, we see no such lag (at least I don't) and this is due to Metal. Unfortunately, Windows doesn't have anything like this at the moment but we will be looking at Hardware Acceleration in the future which would likely sort this out. 

55 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Hey Hanu,

On macOS, we see no such lag (at least I don't) and this is due to Metal. Unfortunately, Windows doesn't have anything like this at the moment but we will be looking at Hardware Acceleration in the future which would likely sort this out.  

That would be much appreciated. I also experience lag in 2048x2048 documents or larger even without mirroring. Especially when the brush size is more than 300 pixels. Although Metal is better than OpenGL it'd be good enough. Better than nothing.

2 minutes ago, Chris B said:

You shouldn't really be struggling with that size document and brush. Can you make sure you don't have your Renderer set to WARP in Preferences?

Yes I just checked, it was set to WARP. I changed it to my graphics card and now it's much faster. Although it lags on 4K with some brushes but that's to be expected.