Jump to content
danmerey

Updated Affinity Photo to 1.7.0 – all my main settings reset (hotkeys, layout etc.)

Recommended Posts

Hey, I just updated Affinity Photo from 1.6.5.135 to 1.7 (downloaded installer and updated old version). I thought all my settings will persist after update, but no – all my settings reset, so now I have to restore my layout settings, hotkeys and maybe some other things. At least Favorite Fonts and Custom Brushes didn't reset.

So, tell my is that so? Is that a bug? Is it intended behaviour (I hope, not)? If yes and it's because old settings and not compatible, why wouldn't you do migration from old ones to new, is that so hard? Is there a way to restore my old settings at this point without manually changing every thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you really mean you had a 1.5.x version installed or is that a typo? The 1.5.x versions are really old, long since superseded by the 1.6.x versions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Do you really mean you had a 1.5.x version installed or is that a typo? The 1.5.x versions are really old, long since superseded by the 1.6.x versions.

Yes, you are right, I had version 1.6.5.135, fixed that in my post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very odd.  I updated both Photo and Designer today — both purchased through the Affinity store — and everything (brushes, assets, swatches, styles, palettes) came through with flying colors.   I had a little adjusting to do with Photo’s toolbar, but other than that both apps were up and running in no time.    Mac OS Sierra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, both Designer & Photo came from the Mac App Store so I updated them from there. For both apps, the layout of the main toolbar was changed but not reset to the default. Some of the items I had added were replaced with different ones or removed completely, while a few others were moved to different positions.

The layout of the Studio panels also changed. In both apps I originally had set the Layers panel to float & in both that was reset to somewhere in the Right Studio. The vertical sizes of many items in the Right Studio changed & in Photo, where I had placed the Macros & Library panels in the Left Studio, the Library panel was removed.

Thankfully, the Tools panel layout did not change, nor did I lose any brushes, swatches or styles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

Unfortunately this is something we are aware of and are unable to fix right now so at the moment as far as I'm aware there is no way to retrieve your old preferences settings/shortcuts. I will let you know if this changes.

Thanks

Callum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Callum said:

Unfortunately this is something we are aware of and are unable to fix right now so at the moment as far as I'm aware there is no way to retrieve your old preferences settings/shortcuts. I will let you know if this changes.

Do you mean the original preferences, keyboard shortcuts, etc. from the retail 1.6.x versions, or from the 1.7.x customer betas?

I ask because at least for me, the only retail version preferences that got clobbered were those relating to the layout of the UI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Do you mean the original preferences, keyboard shortcuts, etc. from the retail 1.6.x versions, or from the 1.7.x customer betas?

I ask because at least for me, the only retail version preferences that got clobbered were those relating to the layout of the UI.

This only refers to retail versions. Some people are reporting losing shortcuts some aren't I'm not sure why just yet, hopefully I will have more information soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Callum said:

Hi all,

Unfortunately this is something we are aware of and are unable to fix right now so at the moment as far as I'm aware there is no way to retrieve your old preferences settings/shortcuts. I will let you know if this changes.

Thanks

Callum

Thanks for the response.

You should definitely fix that in a new version, because default layout is bad IMHO, and I managed to restore my old one fast only thanks to my recorded videos of my work for my devlog.

Also I had to restore my shortcut settings for Brush Tool, Pixel Tool, Select Tool, Erase Tool (I remove all duplicated shortcuts, so it doesn't change Tool Subtype on several presses)

All other settings remain, but those that I lost was the most important anyway, so consider fix that in future versions please

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a TimeMachine Backup of my Data. I tried to restore /Users/<me>/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner/ and launch the previous version to do screen shots or export the setting. But restoring this folder did not help.

Can you please tell me which folders I need to restore to see the setting in the old version again?

This is a major problem for me. I adopted everything in Designer (and Photo) over the last months but now I can’t tell you what I all did to make Designer feel so good.

All I know that I need to restore ASAP in order to get back to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Andreas Schrader said:

Can you please tell me which folders I need to restore to see the setting in the old version again?

Unfortunately, at least for now I don't think there are any folders you can use that will do this. From what I can tell, some of the Containers folder items from the old 1.6 versions are not 100% compatible with the 1.7 versions, so just like when the 1.7 update is launched for the first time, they would be replaced or altered with versions that are fully compatible with 1.7.

I think this is done to eliminate potential incompatibilities that would destabilize the app, causing crashes or odd behaviors (much like when some of those items become corrupted & have to be reset by starting the app with the Control key held down), so there is likely to be no easy fix for this. :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2019 at 1:25 PM, R C-R said:

Unfortunately, at least for now I don't think there are any folders you can use that will do this. From what I can tell, some of the Containers folder items from the old 1.6 versions are not 100% compatible with the 1.7 versions, so just like when the 1.7 update is launched for the first time, they would be replaced or altered with versions that are fully compatible with 1.7.

 I think this is done to eliminate potential incompatibilities that would destabilize the app, causing crashes or odd behaviors (much like when some of those items become corrupted & have to be reset by starting the app with the Control key held down), so there is likely to be no easy fix for this. :/

Hello R C-R,

maybe you got me wrong. I want to restore the prefs and use the old version to note down what I all changed. I bought Designer in the Apple Store, so the latest version available for me is 1.6.1 (apart from 1.7 of course).

So my question is, what folders and files do I need to restore to get all my prefs and settings back to my previous setup for version 1.6.1?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Andreas Schrader said:

So my question is, what folders and files do I need to restore to get all my prefs and settings back to my previous setup for version 1.6.1?

As already mentioned, the per user /Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner/ folder contains all the per user prefs and settings files. Note that this is in the normally hidden Library folder in your user account home folder, not anything in the top level Library folder.

So minimally you would need to restore that folder to that location from a TM backup made before updating to 1.7 and restore the 1.6.1 version of the application from a TM backup, overwriting the newer one. (I don't think any 1.6.x versions are available from the Mac App Store anymore.) It might also be a good idea to reboot your Mac into Safe mode & then reboot normally once that finishes, which should clear out all caches.

If that doesn't work, I don't know what else to tell you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

So minimally you would need to restore that folder to that location from a TM backup made before updating to 1.7

Dang it. I wish I knew this earlier. I was following your steps because I too am looking into doing something similar. Before I updated, I backed up brushes and styles, and it looks like the shortcut keys backed up automatically when I updated, but I didn't know how to backup text. I knew that there was a folder location somewhere, but I didn't know where. Now, I went into that location, and I see only one file called Container.plist. That must be because the update refreshed the folder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.