This post by A_B_C demystifies somewhat…

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

How I make GIFs >>> ScreenToGIF (Windows only, Open Source, Portable, ~600kB)

It turns a layer into Zorro :ph34r: lol!

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Live 19th June 2019

@Aammppaa no, doesnt help. That goes over clip vs mask. I am asking what the BUTTON does. It makes a layer, but nothing can be in that layer and I don't see why it is needed or what its function is

@>|< thank you for answering the question. The docs made it seem like it would also do something with vectors :13_upside_down:

guess it is just something to ignore

@sumneuron Sorry - misread your question. Glad you got the answer.

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

How I make GIFs >>> ScreenToGIF (Windows only, Open Source, Portable, ~600kB)

18 hours ago, sumneuron said:

The docs made it seem like it would also do something with vectors :13_upside_down:

guess it is just something to ignore

As @>|< explained, pixel masks can do something to vector objects, that being to modify the opacity of the masked object(s). So for example, in the Pixel persona you can use a pixel brush set to an intermediate grey to make part of a vector shape partially transparent, using any of the zillion or so pixel brushes available in that persona, including the built-in ones that come with the app, ones you create yourself, & those you can purchase like the excellent DAUB brushes.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

This seems like the right place to ask this question having searched the forums.

Is there a way of clipping OR masking an Adjustment layer with a vector shape? I realise that Adjustment layers have their own built in pixel masks, but basically I'm aiming to see the effects of an Adjustment layer only within the bounds of a vector shape.

I've been playing around with it and it doesn't seem to work in the same way that clipping and masking layers, groups or shapes does.

Thanks in advance.

Ugh. As soon as I posted this I figured it out. The trick is to use a black and white fill on the vector shape - as you would a pixel mask.

Apologies for making noise.

Oh man....me again. So, black and white actually doesn't work in the way that you'd expect. Basically adding any fill colour should activate the mask, and then using the opacity will give you varying degrees of visibility.