You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Kerning Issue in Export for Web

When exporting as PDF for web it is default to only embed uncommon fonts.

I have recently exported a file for web using Arial and, when viewing on iOS devices (possibly Android also), the "i" is missing each time it is after an "f" ...a kerning issue.

Before, I only noticed that it effects font styles, but this is annoying. Couldn't it be default to embed all fonts in this situation? Otherwise I need to remember to switch it in the extra settings on export.  

It seems more a problem with ligatures, and the "fi" one doesn't appear because your iOS device use a different Arial font that doesn't support them or your app doesn't understand them.
Try to disable them or embed the fonts in your PDF.

2019-05-15_224414.png.c50782985b994de1339fbd54d25b93f7.png

Making all fonts embedded will bloat the PDF file and therefore increase loading times.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.5.1 (iPad 7th gen)

This is a tricky issue, I think, and I wouldn't know what to suggest. I certainly wouldn't want to bloat the file size for web, but on the other hand, I can easily see myself using "export for web" and blissfully being ignorant that all my ligatures (which I always use when available) are not showing errors on mobile devices.

I take the presets as "recommended" settings for each situation, and in this case, it would have led me astray, and I wouldn't have even known that this were an issue had I not read this thread.

On 5/15/2019 at 10:36 PM, AnGwer said:

on iOS devices

And on macOS, too: Look where the URLs in the attached PDF guide you, when you open the PDF in Apple's Preview.app. – It gets stuck at the 'fi' in 'affinity', too.
Whereas it works when opening the PDF in Acrobat for instance.

170330-1 text url w 'fi' mac.pdf

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

58 minutes ago, thomaso said:

And on macOS, too: Look where the URLs in the attached PDF guide you, when you open the PDF in Apple's Preview.app. – It gets stuck at the 'fi' in 'affinity', too.

That at least does work on my Mac in Preview:

1333625320_ScreenShot2019-05-17at9_16_55AM.thumb.png.c9bdffd5815797a88564b9b927b05e62.png

I think it is an issue with the installed font, as Wosven suggested.

1 hour ago, garrettm30 said:

Interesting. Did you click + to get to the browser, or did you just read the popup in your screenshot?

With the 2nd link of the PDF I end up either there:  https://forum.af/   (+ error message in the browser window) or there: 
 https://www.serif.com/de/?topic/85461-kerning-issue-in-export-for-web  (which appears to be a re-directed result but not this forums page)

It appears to depend at what position I click on the text line (which actually has no html in the background).

Yes, the ligature "fi" issue. That's why I posted it. I agree, with a default application setting such a result should not occur, as you pointed out already.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1333625320_ScreenShot2019-05-17at9_16_55AM.thumb.png.c9bdffd5815797a88564b9b927b05e62.png

That would be because it is recognizing that text string (because that's all it is) as a URL.

In Acrobat, this behavior can be turned off.

Capture_000032.png.5b1405366904c9748b71e8bc1be612b0.png

I set that default preference to not having this behavior. One cannot really test URLs in a PDF with it turned on.

58 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Interesting. Did you click + to get to the browser

I did try that. It successfully went to the intended link. I just included the popup in my screenshot to show what part was interpreted by Preview as the URL.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.