You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dotted outlines with dots exactly in the corner

How is it possible to force dots or dashes, generated with contour studio panel, exactly into EACH corner?  
If I create lines with dotted lines in a technical drawing, the dot should always be exactly in the corner of each bent line, so that the exact course can be traced. As simple an attachment how it should NOT look like.

dotted, dashed lines – corner behaviour

You can create a background of points, save it in assets and use it to create dotted borders by removing unnecessary points, depending on the desired size.
By keeping it in the assets it remains permanently available.

Contour pointillés.jpg

Your suggestion is unfortunately not an efficient option, as it involves a lot of manual effort. If I create 100 lines with different dashed lines in a technical drawing and these have a total of 500 corners, I will hardly create them manually. It should be possible in Affinity Designer to display corners with any kind of dashed line like in AI: Draw line, apply style ready.

This are all time consuming workarounds. Of course it's a way to do it. And of course, I may draw hundreds of tiny small lines to get a curve. But why not to use the pen tool instead of?  Same with dotted/dashed lines. There must be an easy way to draw, apply the function, ready. 

I agree with you, it is not a solution for complex situations and there is a lack of a dedicated tool capable of doing the work quickly and correctly. I hope that this tool will soon be available in a future update.

Within various constraints, it is fairly easy to generate regular dot patterns using the pen tool. 

DottyLines.jpg.69d1fa6a8bbbfda57c8ba0157de89e2d.jpg

Myself, I think it would make lots more sense for there to be a plug-in extension, and let someone(s) who have the time to satisfy such a niche need to write a routine that those who really need it can buy. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

A dot pattern is only one of much more variants. Imagine how many variants you may create with outline containing dots and dashes of different gaps and length. Think of a technical drawing of a printed circuit board you have to create with different outlines to distinguish and of Cours with true corner to show. With other words: I'd like to have the same handy feature as in AI, nothing fancy but something, professional users need from time to time to get proper construction drawings or graphic boxes with clean corners or ... you name it

Aligns dashes and corners ...

11 minutes ago, truepictures said:

drawing of a printed circuit board

There are definitely other applications with completely different tools (such as autorouter, electrical rule checker, create gerber files, etc.).

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

For what very little it is worth, when I read about this issue in another topic that was about creating professional looking grocery coupons & the like, I started paying a little more attention to the coupons I saw in newspapers, TV commercials, & on web sites.

I was surprised that about as often as not, the dashed line corners were not aligned uniformly -- they just wrapped around much like what happens in the Affinity apps without manual tweaking. I am not suggesting they were created using Affinity, but considering this was not restricted to 'mom & pop' sources or products, I wonder if tidy perfectly aligned corners have for some reason become less important than they used to be.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

For what very little it is worth, when I read about this issue in another topic that was about creating professional looking grocery coupons & the like, I started paying a little more attention to the coupons I saw in newspapers, TV commercials, & on web sites.

I was surprised that about as often as not, the dashed line corners were not aligned uniformly -- they just wrapped around much like what happens in the Affinity apps without manual tweaking. I am not suggesting they were created using Affinity, but considering this was not restricted to 'mom & pop' sources or products, I wonder if tidy perfectly aligned corners have for some reason become less important than they used to be.

Then the people creating the coupons were not paying attention to their style options. Almost all coupons I see are properly done. While AI/ID has an option, Q does not and always produces proper corners whether they be dashed or dots.

capture-002437.png.50c58caa7bdf2e4b1fa566883774b922.png

I surmise if they have become "less important" it is due to new, younger designers who may not be versed in their jobs. But again, all professionally produced ad coupons I see are done properly. So it may be not as wide-spread as one thinks.

9 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I surmise if they have become "less important" it is due to new, younger designers who may not be versed in their jobs.

Or maybe it is just that the appearance of the corners are not as important to coupon users or the businesses that issue them as they are to designers? After all, I doubt many coupon clippers are particularly careful about cutting out printed coupons along those lines. In fact, I increasingly see coupons that just have solid outlines or no cut lines at all. Maybe it is that the designers are just too lazy to add them, or maybe they just want to be different or maximize white space or something -- these days it seems like pretty much anything goes, as long as it is cheap & effective.

This is not say that I think having better dashed stroke controls in the Affinity apps is not important. Like a lot of other users I would like to see that done better, with something more elegant & user friendly than what we have now.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It's not really about cheap and effective if there is a simple setting. If there is a solid border, it's also not about white space either. 

Affinity applications are too fussy in this regard. In the least there should be a simple check box to obtain correctly done corners. That way if the user doesn’t care, they can play with the various settings to their heart's content.

7 hours ago, v_kyr said:

What I see in newspapers etc. has always symmetrical right looking corners.

FWIW, the coupon corner in your screenshot is not as 'right looking' as the one @MikeW posted -- the 2 legs of the corner dash are not equal lengths, so the symmetry is not 4 way.

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

FWIW, the coupon corner in your screenshot is not as 'right looking' as the one @MikeW posted -- the 2 legs of the corner dash are not equal lengths, so the symmetry is not 4 way.

Ones a working file and the other, which is using a far lighter line weight, is an image from a print that is on highly absorbent paper and the printing done at a very high speed (and the paper stretches during the print). In general, each leg is half the length of the dashes. The image appears close enough if one takes into account

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

LOL that was a quick'n'dirty shot with the iPad cam from a bended TV-mag on my knees, so don't play too much bean counter with that one! Just believe me that it is straight in the magazine, as far as it would have layed flat on a table instead.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2