You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

affinity publisher hyphenation/spellcheck in Croatian language

The Affinity programs use Hunspell, and you should be able to install any Hunspell-compatible dictionaries yourself.

For example, you could download the LibreOffice Croatian dictionaries (hr_HR.aff, hr_HR.dic, hyph_hr_HR.dic) and use them. If you look at your Affinity Preferences, Tools panel, you should see at the bottom a line that says "Additional dictionary folder". Just open that folder, create a new folder in it named hr_HR, and place those 3 files into the new folder.

Once you've done that you should be able to specify Croatian for both spell-checking and hyphenation.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Walt, I tried - but I can not download these files...

and I cannot find this: "If you look at your Affinity Preferences, Tools panel, you should see at the bottom a line that says "Additional dictionary folder"

see also my screenshots of the preferences - no possibility to change language:-(

Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-07 um 09.36.05.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-07 um 09.36.10.jpg

Sorry, I didn't realize that option is missing for Mac. I know that spell checking is different in Mac, and is more tied into system functions.

Possibly you would download the dictionaries and then tell your system to install them. But someone who knows Mac will have to provide more advice.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I placed it within app package: ⁨Affinity Publisher Beta.app⁩ ▸ ⁨Contents⁩ ▸ ⁨Resources⁩ ▸ ⁨Dictionaries⁩

Possibly there are some better other locations as this possibly disappears when app is updated... I do not know how it behaves then.

21 hours ago, Fixx said:

I placed it within app package: ⁨Affinity Publisher Beta.app⁩ ▸ ⁨Contents⁩ ▸ ⁨Resources⁩ ▸ ⁨Dictionaries⁩

Possibly there are some better other locations as this possibly disappears when app is updated... I do not know how it behaves then.

Did you get the Finnish hyphenation working?

Hey, here I am back.

I installed the hr_HR folder on my mac here:  ⁨Affinity Publisher Beta.app⁩ ▸ ⁨Contents⁩ ▸ ⁨Resources⁩ ▸ ⁨Dictionaries⁩

After restarting - what to do? See my settings - seems everything - but no hyph.! Why it is working in your case - and not in my?

Maybe the dic-file is too small?

in the preference I cannot change language. in the panels I can....

see all my settings and the dic-files in the attachment.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-08 um 21.13.32.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-08 um 21.17.02.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-08 um 21.17.16.jpg

29 minutes ago, Eisbar said:

in the preference I cannot change language. in the panels I can....

In the Preferences, when available, you will be able to select the UI language, but only for languages that Serif supplies for the UI.

In the Character panel you specify the language for the text, and it can be any one where either your OS or Serif or you have supplied a dictionary.

I don't know why hyphenation is not working for you. Sorry. (Question, though: can you get it working for other languages?)

-- Walt
PC:

12 hours ago, Mirador said:

Thank you FIXX! The hyph_fi_FI.dic file crashes Affinity Publisher. I removed 2nd nd 3rd lines from it and it did the work. Now the hyphenation in Finnish works fine without crashes!

Sorry, I forgot to add, as mmoro said in original thread:

"finnish hyphenation dictionary started with words "charset ISO8859-1". I looked those Hunspell-dictionaries and they have only "ISO8859-1" without word "charset". So I removed word "charset" and now Publisher is not crashing."

That fixxes the dictionary.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2019 at 10:54 AM, Fixx said:

Sorry, I forgot to add, as mmoro said in original thread:

"finnish hyphenation dictionary started with words "charset ISO8859-1". I looked those Hunspell-dictionaries and they have only "ISO8859-1" without word "charset". So I removed word "charset" and now Publisher is not crashing."

That fixxes the dictionary.

THX guys, this saved my day – and a project.

iMac 27" Retina 2017, 3,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, OS X Mojave | Long-time Adobe veteran (I still remember Aldus Pagemaker, HA!), making the big move after going freelance. Running Publisher Beta along with Designer and Photo desktop versions. Loving what you guys are doing.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2019 at 6:34 PM, walt.farrell said:

The Affinity programs use Hunspell, and you should be able to install any Hunspell-compatible dictionaries yourself.

For example, you could download the LibreOffice Croatian dictionaries (hr_HR.aff, hr_HR.dic, hyph_hr_HR.dic) and use them. If you look at your Affinity Preferences, Tools panel, you should see at the bottom a line that says "Additional dictionary folder". Just open that folder, create a new folder in it named hr_HR, and place those 3 files into the new folder.

Once you've done that you should be able to specify Croatian for both spell-checking and hyphenation.

I use Windows 10. I made all exactly as you described but it doesn't work in my case. I copied croatian and polish files. Everything is visible in Paragraph and Character panels, I,m able to change spelling, hyphenation... but it doesn't work at all. When spelling is on ( dosn't matter Croatian or Polish) it underlines all the words with red lines. Hyphenation is on and nothing happens.    

image.png

image.png

image.png

• 1 year later...
On 1/5/2019 at 6:34 PM, walt.farrell said:

Hello, I cant find on preferences -tools any "Additional dictionary folder" use Affinity publisher 1.8.1

Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 21.55.51.png

Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 21.55.27.png

1 hour ago, Iztok said:

I cant find on preferences -tools any "Additional dictionary folder" use Affinity publisher 1.8.1

That may be a Windows-only Preference, as spelling is handled differently on Mac. Try the instructions in this FAQ answer:

-- Walt
PC:

I work on mac, Catalina OS, last update and have last 1.8. 1, Ii create subfolder and put file in it -see attached picture, I restart publisher, the then mac, but hyphenation doesn't work. I think hyphenation is very important issue, if it doesnt work, I can't use it and other languages must be included. I do not understand that such an important thing is not included in the application and should be dealt with by any individual who is not in the languages provided. Using a script or clearer instructions could make it easier to download. However, it is certainly easier for you to integrate all languages than it is for each individual to do.

Screenshot 2020-03-07 at 07.51.50.png

Screenshot 2020-03-07 at 07.49.31.png

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

That may be a Windows-only Preference, as spelling is handled differently on Mac. Try the instructions in this FAQ answer:

I do not understand that such an important thing is not included in the application and should be dealt with by any individual who is not in the languages provided. Using a script or clearer instructions could make it easier to download. However, it is certainly easier for you to integrate all languages than it is for each individual to do929394785_Screenshot2020-03-07at07_49_31.png.7f0d98a4a4c04dabf990ec7d3fa52cd1.png

Screenshot 2020-03-07 at 07.49.31.png

4 hours ago, Iztok said:

but hyphenation doesn't work.

From your screenshots there is something odd, either with your dictionaries or with your Mac system settings, I think. But I do not know enough about Mac spellchecking and settings to say for sure what the problem might be.

The odd thing I see is in the screenshot that includes the Character panel, where Spelling is shown as Unknown (en-SI). That seems to indicate indicate Slovenian English. In an earlier screenshot you did have Slovenian shown, so maybe the en-SI isn't a problem.

For automatic hyphenation to work, you need three things:

1. You need to have properly installed dictionaries (including the hyphenation dictionary) for the language.
  2. You need a proper specification of the language for the text, which can come from the Language section of the Character panel, or from Language settings in a Character or Paragraph Text Style.
  3. You need to enable automatic hyphenation support in the Paragraph panel or in the settings in the Paragraph Text Style:
    image.png.a4b03b30bd23fb604b946e1052e28d42.png
    You may also need to adjust the other settings in the Hyphenation section.

I'm not sure you've got #2 setup properly, and several users have missed #3.

I hope this helps.

-- Walt
PC:

19 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

From your screenshots there is something odd, either with your dictionaries or with your Mac system settings, I think. But I do not know enough about Mac spellchecking and settings to say for sure what the problem might be.

The odd thing I see is in the screenshot that includes the Character panel, where Spelling is shown as Unknown (en-SI). That seems to indicate indicate Slovenian English. In an earlier screenshot you did have Slovenian shown, so maybe the en-SI isn't a problem.

For automatic hyphenation to work, you need three things:

1. You need to have properly installed dictionaries (including the hyphenation dictionary) for the language.
  2. You need a proper specification of the language for the text, which can come from the Language section of the Character panel, or from Language settings in a Character or Paragraph Text Style.
  3. You need to enable automatic hyphenation support in the Paragraph panel or in the settings in the Paragraph Text Style:
    image.png.a4b03b30bd23fb604b946e1052e28d42.png
    You may also need to adjust the other settings in the Hyphenation section.

I'm not sure you've got #2 setup properly, and several users have missed #3.

I hope this helps.

673766895_Screenshot2020-03-07at13_04_17.png.f87034a76f18071357aa031d93ea4a89.png2046703167_Screenshot2020-03-07at13_03_41.png.6de2afa8f56f2125ff22e3a716ffaeeb.pngi have done all the steps of specifying in your instructions, i have spelling in english, hyphention, which is most important i dont see english although i did subfolder in Library-Spelling

31 minutes ago, Iztok said:

i have done all the steps of specifying in your instructions,

I see in that screenshot:
image.png.d4121e205e4d42791af9cc8a2bd3a5b0.png

The FAQ said that the directory you have named hyph_sl_Sl should instead be named sl_Sl. If you fix that, perhaps Slovenian hyphenation will work.

-- Walt
PC: