You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

the most annoying UX issues (resize and crop)

i really can't understand: i do CMd+I / C to resize the image or canvas.. we got the resizing form but the focus isn't on the first field.. i have to manually press tab to select a field, or even worse use the mouse.

press C to crop.. ok the mode is set to unconstrained by default, but why there isn't ANY possibility to keep the current proportions? (using cmd,ctrl,shift, alt, for example)

i'm mostly in the move tool. but with this tool i always see violet rects around each layer/object.. there isn't a command to turn them off, but i have to change tool.. why do we need this? so annoying!

i want to have an image in gray scale/black and white... after spending 3 minutes in the Filters menu.. i discover that that basic feature is in the Adjustment panel.. how did you split the effects in the two so different areas of the app? why Auto Levels is in the Filters menu, but the Levels filter is in the Adjustment panel?

i really try to love Affinity apps (i have all), but too often open Pixelmator to do the simplest things because i know that it makes features where i expect them to be! (PS: i am a Mac user since 1991, started with Photoshop 2.0)

ciao

PLAY WELL DIE HAPPY! Game Based Learning, Music, Parenting, Trascendence and 2042 Humanist Revolution - stefanocecere.com

9 minutes ago, stefano.cecere said:

i'm mostly in the move tool. but with this tool i always see violet rects around each layer/object.. there isn't a command to turn them off, but i have to change tool.. why do we need this? so annoying!

Turn of " show snappjng candidates" in the snapping panel

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

2 hours ago, dutchshader said:

Turn of " show snappjng candidates" in the snapping panel

Where to find the "snapping panel"? Please screenshot or menu-path...

######

To >-< for me too, this an unnesecrary difference between filters and adjustments... both changes layer. Well not all filter works on shapes/text... only with pixels... but others works with non-pixel-layer... so this not a criteria. Not all filters available as layer, but other are! This is also not a criteria. Not all filters changes "color" (in fact they do all - all modify is in the end just changing "color", eg. a blur just equals neighbor-pixel more together = recoloring...), so this is also not a criteria. I would say the diffrence between adjustment and filters (which should mostly better called FX, a filter just subtracts...) is a pour artifically difference. Makes no really sense. A difference between "available as layer" and just destructive FX would be make more sense. BTW: the so called FX are for me more layer-tweaks and filters are mostly FX...

But however, this is not really important, i just wanted to tell ;-)

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

57 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

here it is:

damn i spent 30 minutes trying all of them.. it was very hidden eh! :)

THANKS!! (i know that Affinity can do anything.. but too often it's too difficult to know how to do it, and simpler apps are easier

PLAY WELL DIE HAPPY! Game Based Learning, Music, Parenting, Trascendence and 2042 Humanist Revolution - stefanocecere.com

12 hours ago, stefano.cecere said:

why Auto Levels is in the Filters menu, but the Levels filter is in the Adjustment panel?

Everything on the Filters menu performs a destructive operation, while Live Filters & adjustments are non-destructive -- they create layers (with built-in masks) that can be made visible, invisible, or deleted without affecting anything else. Like Live Filter layers, adjustment layers can be nested, applied to groups or Layers (the capital "L" layer type), to all layers below them in the Layers panel, or to just a 'parent' layer & its child layers somewhere in the layer hierarchy.

Like all layers, they can be given their own user-defined names, a great help in complex, multilayer documents. Likewise, since they are layers, adjustment & Live Filter layers can be copied & pasted or moved around in the layer hierarchy on the Layers panel.

9 hours ago, stefano.cecere said:

i know that Affinity can do anything.. but too often it's too difficult to know how to do it, and simpler apps are easier

Well, it is far short of being able to do anything, but it is certainly true that simpler apps are easier to learn ... but isn't that always true? 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 hours ago, R C-R said:

Well, it is far short of being able to do anything, but it is certainly true that simpler apps are easier to learn ... but isn't that always true? 

well .. if i wasn't  developer and mac user since 30 years, i know that even the most complex machines must be easy to understand, and show the real expected behaviors as default... if i want to resize the image, it's obvious that i want, since i need, to input a width.. you don't show me an empty form where i HAVE to click a second time to input a value.

i want to apply a filter.. i don't care, i don't want to know, if the Greyscale filter is destructive or not.. i want that to be applied in 2 seconds. and if it's descritive, you'll show a warning before applying it. or you mark somehow the destructive one to differenciate from the realtime one.

it's simply basic UX design.

and i think that Affinity has a lot to improve in that (otherwise we'll go back to Pixelmator for simple things, or to Adobe for the complex ones)

1 hour ago, stefano.cecere said:

i want to apply a filter.. i don't care, i don't want to know, if the Greyscale filter is destructive or not.. i want that to be applied in 2 seconds. and if it's descritive, you'll show a warning before applying it. or you mark somehow the destructive one to differenciate from the realtime one.

I most definitely do not want the UI to be cluttered with warnings like that because they would be a drag on what is otherwise a very quick & fluid workflow. It is one of the things I like most about the Affinity apps.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, stefano.cecere said:

want to apply a filter.. i don't care, i don't want to know, if the Greyscale filter is destructive or not.. i want that to be applied in 2 seconds. and if it's descritive, you'll show a warning before applying it. or you mark somehow the destructive one to differenciate from the realtime one.

Yes, but if you get lots of warnings, then there is the inevitable warning box where you have to agree to it (sometimes more than one) flashing up before your eyes every time. Have you never used Microsoft products?

That really slows things down, so the 2 seconds becomes 4 seconds or 6 seconds every time >:( Not at all productive when you are working on dozens of files :(

No, like @R C-R I much prefer things the way they are. A bit of learning goes a long way and all sophisticated and powerful apps do need a bit of learning. 

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

I most definitely do not want the UI to be cluttered with warnings like that because they would be a drag on what is otherwise a very quick & fluid workflow.

I completely agree - in fact I've put in an improvement request for a "JFDI" mode, where any and all warnings are disabled, and AP just does it   BUT I have to admit that those warning were useful when I started using AP!

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10