zstekovic

Expand stroke still sucks

2 hours ago, LostInTranslation said:

Also I thought that Win/Mac versions were generally always the same?

Yeah, I think they generally are more or less the same when released, but judging by that comment i linked it seems like they wanted to get some fixes for Windows related issues out first. I read the Windows release notes and as you said, there seems to be no mention of expanding strokes there, so that is most likely not ready for public beta testing yet.

2 hours ago, LostInTranslation said:

In any way it needs to be fixed and soon. 

These forums are filled with demands that specific pet peeve issues are prioritized and fixed promptly. Software development takes time and Affinity is a small company with a series of applications for three platforms. I'm sure they're doing everything they can but it's probably more complex than it seems from the outside.

The good news is that this particular issue is actively being worked on, as they stated publicly and showed screenshots of. That is far better than most issues. And they said 1.8 beta for Mac should be out soon.

Until then, don't jump the ship if this is a showstopper (I use Designer daily but I have an old Illustrator version still lying around when I need to expand strokes).

1 hour ago, HannaCecilia said:

Hi Adrian. I have the exact same issue. Except - my ancient CS4 is not working anymore on High Sierra. Or you have any tips? I am really stuck with the mad Adobe prices :(.

Sorry, no specific advice for CS4. I have CS5 and thankfully it still works on High Sierra for me. I had to do some java-related voodoo to get it going, but it works mostly now. 

3 hours ago, HannaCecilia said:

Why is the 'expand stroke' not working with any brush strokes?   […]      Please help

Because those consist of bitmaps and Affinity apps still have no vectorizer.

You could export your work/or only the brush strokes (high-resolution), use a different app to vectorize the strokes and then reimport to AD or finish your work in the other app.

BTW: Welcome here in the forum.

3 hours ago, HannaCecilia said:

the mad Adobe prices

mean less workarounds, which saves a lot of time, money and nerves

@MEB Expand stroke still not working... This is first time when I'm scared that I can't provide quality project to my client because of affinity. Don't get me wrong I love affinity, but this is HUGE problem. I'm forced to LEARN how to NOT use stroke in vector design... because on the end when I expand it it just messes up my design... this is very bad error. I don't see any other priority that can be more important then something that messes up final project on export. I can't export logos with strokes...

On 2/5/2020 at 11:40 PM, MEB said:

Hi tytus 01UNIT,
If you are using the latest Designer 1.8 Beta do you mind attaching the file with the object that's giving you trouble when you expand it for us to check please? I can provide an upload link if you wish to keep the file private. Thanks.

Hi, Thank you for info. I didn't know about this possibility. I'm checking 1.8 beta right now. Thanks! I will let you know.

On 2/5/2020 at 11:40 PM, MEB said:

Hi tytus 01UNIT,
If you are using the latest Designer 1.8 Beta do you mind attaching the file with the object that's giving you trouble when you expand it for us to check please? I can provide an upload link if you wish to keep the file private. Thanks.

@MEB Yep, there is still Expand Stroke problem. I did the same shape in both programs. It seams that expand stroke is ok when there the shape is simple and has nice rounded corners. If I randomly band it it has those "moves".

AD BETA.png

AD normal.png

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi tytus 01UNIT,
Thanks for your feedback. Do you mind attaching the afdesign file shown in the screenshots above please (with the original path before the expand operation). Thanks.

Sure, I had to recreated it, but it is similar.

screen.png

t.afdesign

On 12/6/2019 at 4:16 PM, HannaCecilia said:

Hi everyone, just doing my first projects with Affinity and praying I could swop completely from Adobe. But - the first serious problems sadly already starting. Why is the 'expand stroke' not working with any brush strokes? Only the standard stroke? Or am I missing something? Please help as need this urgently for various client projects! Thank you! 9Apps VidMate VLC

Nice.