When using the rectangular marquee tool, sometimes I know the exact pixel dimensions that I need to be selecting.  I would like to have the ability to specify a selection box size and/or ratio, rather than simply dragging an area.

Can't you use the Transform Panel (W & H values) to do this?

Or am I misunderstanding what you want?

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

Yep; I think you're misunderstanding.  Let's say I have a photo, and I want to select a 100px x 100px area of that photo.  I have no way to precisely do that.  I would like to be able to specify in the marquee tool that I would like that exact pixel size of a selection.

Hi HaDAk,
Draw the rectangle with the rectangle marquee tool first (size doesn't matter at this point), then go to the Transform panel and set the values you want for the width and height. The marquee selection will be adjusted accordingly. Then position the selection marquee where you want. There's no way to set the values before creating the selection marquee unless you prefer to draw a rectangle shape with the dimensions you want, convert it to curves, switch to the Pen Tool and convert it to a selection by clicking the Selection button in the context toolbar.

Ah, ok.  That works.  It's pretty counter-intuitive, but it solves my problem.  I don't suppose it's too much to ask for a way to specify a ratio, rather than a pixel size? Say I want to select a 4x3 box, but I don't know what pixel dimensions?

Have to agree with HaDAk. This is something I do ALL THE TIME in Photoshop, define a size in pixels and then cut out a recatngle with that size from a bunch of photos. Or sometimes define a ratio (H:W) rather than exact size. My employer have recently forced me to switch to Affinity because of Adobe's prices, but I would very much appreciate to be able to predefine the marquee size as with Adobe programs.

Why on earth should this be „counter intuitive“? Because Photoshop does it in a different way?

If you use a different application, you have to learn/accept different approaches to a subject. The“Transform“ approach is a completely logical way of resizing an element/a selection. You can’t really expect a serious application to copy its competitor.

If it is too heavy to learn/accept different ways to solve a problem, then perhaps Photoshop would be the road to go …

On 10/16/2018 at 12:46 AM, anon2 said:

Well, I didn't use the wording "counter intuitive" and I don't expect that all programs should work the way I'm used to. I'm perfectly happy to learn new ways, but once I have, I should be allowed to comment on how well it suits my work flow. When you do a repetitive task, such as cutting out a rectangle of a certain size from a large number of images, it saves a lot of key strokes and reduces the risk of mistakes if I can first define the cutout size and then just click away, rather than having to redefine the selection size in each case.

I would indeed have preferred to stick to Photoshop & Illustrator, but since this is my work and my employer have decided to switch to Affinity I just have to suck it up. That said, I'm generally happy with the Affinity programs and apart from the occasional missing feature they work fine.