Resize cropped image (Picture Frame

Are you wanting to:

1. Move the image within the existing frame; or
  2. Change the size of the frame; or
  3. Something else?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

I've been hoping for the same thing, can't find it though - currently the only way (I believe) is to group the picture frame, then it will all scale up OK - but a simple modifier key would be much better.

MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS 12.6.1 Monterey
Affinity Designer : 2.0  Affinity Photo: 2.0,   Affinity Publisher: 2.0

1 hour ago, aartjan.nl said:

3. Change the size of the frame INCLUDING the contents, so the content must scale as well, together with the frame

With the frame/picture selected you should see a button on the context menu to show the picture frame properties. There are several choices there for how the image will display within the picture frame, including (I think) two related to scaling. If one of those is selected, then all you should need to do is drag the frame to the size you want and the content will scale with it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Grouping the image Frame with the Image works, but it still is unnecessary complicated and seems like a workaround.
(If i want to move the "inner" picture now, i have to DOUBLE-DOUBLE-click to get there. And the "replace image" button is not shown anymore etc. )

Being able to just use the Shift or Ctrl-Key to switch behaviours would be much easier. I still hope the image placing/replacing/scaling/cropping will be improved. 

Great, thanks for that!

I had to stop the clock and finally come here to find out what to do, I was going mad because the only way I could figure out was 'control-drag' the handles and hope the now wildly-spinning picture would end up the right way up after scaling. Grouping almost makes sense, a different way of thinking and doing.

But all the automatic picture scaling options under the Properties button feel time-consuming... making it technically slick with so many options seems to have taken away ease of use and the fact that I want to do it, not be taken over. Do I need all those auto-scaling attributes? For me, not really.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Agreed the latest update has improved things greatly but also agree the "grouping" image with its frame idea will take some getting used to. After getting an image into a picture frame just right, I can use the outer handle at bottom right to scale everything together, but I can't use the Transform palette to input a particular size and have everything scale together. Have to make the "group of one" first.