Lurien

Affinity Publisher Equation Maker?

I've used Affinity Designer to make lab reports for a couple years now, but always had two main issues (equation writing and having to import screenshots of tables). While you can imagine my joy at Publisher fixing the latter problem, I still think having an equation maker would be a huge step forward and a massive leg up over InDesign. Think of all the boring-looking papers being cranked out right now that could be so much better if only they were made in AP. Hell, maybe it can even tempt the LaTeX faithful...?

My gut feeling is that it wont happen. At least not for several years. Also - the lack of a plug-in architecture in Affinity apps makes it virtually impossible for third part vendors to add value to the Affinity line with plugins - like the suggestions here - so it has to come from Serif:

Fortunately LaTeX is a fine free, deeply specialized platform independent companion for any program that can import PDF/EPS figures. If you can figure out how to layout your figures. Or am I wrong? 

"Men are like sheep, of which a flock is more easily driven than a single one."

"Experienced vector artists and infographic designers will find a noticeable lack of the more advanced tools found in Illustrator CC." (source)

@Wafer  I can import an equation to AP as a non-editable vector, but there's no wrap setting for doing this without manually adjusting line separation:

texttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttext

[EQUA]

texttexttext [TION] texttexttexttext

Besides, whenever I do try any wrap of an imported equation the entire program crashes. I'll make a post about it on the bug forum.

48 minutes ago, Lurien said:

@Wafer  I can import an equation to AP as a non-editable vector, but there's no wrap setting for doing this without manually adjusting line separation:

[EQUA]

texttexttext [TION] texttexttexttext

Besides, whenever I do try any wrap of an imported equation the entire program crashes. I'll make a post about it on the bug forum.

I am not @Wafer,

but I hope I can help to point you to the wrap settings:
Look for 'page over lines' icon in the toolbar when the imported file is selected (see screenshot).

1548852545_TextWrap.thumb.png.e330fc95f03ec2bacf7bc96d4ac8e71f.png

There are different options. 'Jump' should work for you.

d.

Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.486)   |   Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.486)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.7.3.475)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

@dominik  Hello! Jump does not allow the picture and text to exist on the same line, and in this case I only want one line to be sharing the horizontal space with the image (so square/tight/whatever doesn't work either). See attached for what I'd like as a wrap mode.

likethis.png

4 minutes ago, Lurien said:

@dominik  Hello! Jump does not allow the picture and text to exist on the same line, and in this case I only want one line to be sharing the horizontal space with the image (so square/tight/whatever doesn't work either). See attached for what I'd like as a wrap mode.

likethis.png

Hi @Lurien,

now I understand. Yes, you are right, this is not possible at the moment. I think anchored images will bring this functionality.

d.

Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.486)   |   Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.486)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.7.3.475)

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

9 hours ago, Lurien said:

@dominik  We can only hope for inline anchoring...

Hi @Lurien,

I do more than hope, I am confident that is coming. It is just not clear when :)

d.