You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Subdivide path

Hi,

We need an option to subdivide all paths like add points in AI in object menu. Basically you get a point in the middle for a line at subdiv 1, then 2 points distributed between the start and end point of the line at subdiv 2 and so on.

This is useful for adding more points distributed at equal distances and for making more advanced shapes.

Thanks

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

Matt, here are some ideas:

1. How about an Object or Path main menu item? I'm sure as AD matures we will need this kind of menu item, to house advanced options...

2. A sub-menu item under the Layer menu? This could be a temporary, v1.0 only until more Path / Object functions get fleshed out and get their own menu item, as above...

3. Or it could be a control handle on the object/path itself, like the rotate or corner handles, and pushing or pulling on it could add (subdivide geometry) or remove (simplify geometry) nodes...

4. Or it could be the reverse or modifier-induced functionality of the nifty Simplify Brush you were going to build, the one we discussed in the other post about simplifying vector Brush strokes ;)

I think a combination of a menu item and an Node Brush tool with Add/Remove mode toggle would be ideal. In fact, often times I want to add or simplify geometry in certain parts of the object, and in AI, I have to add nodes manually (sucks for large areas) or apply it to the entire object, needlessly complexifying — see what I did there, definitely an American localization ;) — the artwork.

It's extremely easy to do, obviously... but where would the controls for it be? :)

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• 2 months later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.