You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text --> Insert --> Page total is missing

On a Masterpage, if you want to insert the "Page number" out of "Total Pages", the option to show the total pages of a document is missing.

To give an example : Page 1 of 25

Can we have this option to please?

Thank you very much.

Chris

• Staff

There is a studio with this functionality (to stop the menu being over filled) . In the View > Studio menu turn on the panel called "Fields" and in there find the fields and double click on the label and that field will be inserted at the current caret. I think this is not discoverable and a better solution is needed 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Patrick, I have looked in the menu as you suggested View>Panel, but I seem unable to see this.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800 X. Nvidia GeForce RTX3060 64Gb Ram
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3235) Home
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for iPad Pro 10.5  • iPad OS 17.3.1

17 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

There is a panel with this functionality (to stop the menu being over filled) . In the View > Panels menu turn on the panel called "Text Fields" and in there find the fields and double click on the label and that field will be inserted at the current caret. I think this is not discoverable and a better solution is needed 

Not seeing a View>Panels menu? 

1028760439_ViewPanels.thumb.PNG.2cfd12f9823f5cd4c9794e1841464067.PNG

• Staff

Sorry, try View > Studio > Text Fields

(sorry I do not have it in front of me). Tell me if i'm wrong and I will adjust my post.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

3 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Sorry, try View > Studio > Text Fields

No problem, thanks again for the help. Found it under Studio>fields not text fields.  Cheers John :D

Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3235) Home

13 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Sorry, I'll get my coat

Please don't!! Ha Ha

• Staff

Or Double click on the label (the bit before the colon) to insert that field 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

You are not meant to be getting it to enable, just put your caret in a text frame then double click on the word in the Fields studio and the field will be added to the text frame at the current caret position 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

10 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

You are not meant to be getting it to enable, just put your caret in a text frame then double click on the word in the Fields studio and the field will be added to the text frame at the current caret position 

Got it to work thanks. Didn't need the caret. 

It's a nice feature - can you customise these and make other variables?

4 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Or Double click on the label (the bit before the colon) to insert that field 

Double-clicking on a field in Windows does nothing. It is not inserted into the document

Asus ROG Strix G17 Notebook:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 3.80 GHz with Radeon Vega Graphics | 32GB DDR4 3200mHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Gfx | 2x 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe M.2 3x4 | Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22623.870

12 minutes ago, Dave Quail said:

Double-clicking on a field in Windows does nothing. It is not inserted into the document

Works fine for me. Double-clicked on "Total pages" (in the highlighted area below) and the number was inserted in my text box:
total-pages.png.cf3f4abe8c9706d85b8c0d3b8f77c2d0.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, haakoo said:

Indeed it doesn't work,

What didn't work? From your description it sounds like it did work.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

So, as you say double clicking on the document field value (area on the right) does nothing for any fields. This is because some of them are editable fields that activate when they are clicked. However the field labels (on the right) will insert for all fields in the studio. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

The better way is 'Text' > 'Insert Field' > 'Other Field' which would bring up a non-modal dialog with a combo-box of all the available fields listed in the studio and an Insert button and a Done button. You could insert as many fields as you want by moving the caret around the text frame(s) and using insert as you choose. A bit like the character map dialog.

Before you go looking for it this does not exist and is a figment of my imagination. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.