nbarman

Indian language support

Hi - when will all your products support text entry in Indian languages? I'm trying to use the Devanagari keyboard along with Devanagari fonts to type text into your programs (Photo, Publisher Beta), and they do not render Indian language text correctly. This type of Unicode support is standard across the Mac OS and also exists in most third-party programs. For example, when I use Pixelmator, or Pages or Keynote, it works fine. But your products don't seem to support this yet. Please look into this - it's very important to a lot of users out there.

Hi @nbarman,

Welcome to the forums. 

We do not fully support Indian Languages at the moment. This as already been raised and we hope to get in implemented in the future.

moved to feature requests

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Hi Gabe - just wanted to follow up on this feature request from back in August of last year. Do you know if if there's any update?

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

@Alfred - Do you know of ANY ANSI Indic fonts that support Unicode? I don't believe it's possible to type real Hindi text using an ANSI Indic font unless you have specialized keyboard software to enable that...

8 minutes ago, nbarman said:

Do you know of ANY ANSI Indic fonts that support Unicode? I don't believe it's possible to type real Hindi text using an ANSI Indic font unless you have specialized keyboard software to enable that...

QuarkXPress now handles Indic OpenType fonts. It was added recently and will likely be a work in progress for a while as Quark works on other LTR scripts.

capture-002554.png.185d422050c22321942aa4977bfac94f.png

In India most of the publishers are struggling with the Adobe's Cloud Subscription. We want to buy Affinity publisher, but it doesn't support Indic languages.

Please add support for Indic languages, I will buy it with that I will recommend all my friends.

Do you have any time frame or plan for this?

Support for Indic scripts is a key feature missing from Affinity products at this point which critically impacts my workflow. I have to jump through a lot of hoops for something that should be as simple as text input. Based on the large number of designers working on Indic languages, I do not imagine this is a problem impacting a small number of users. Affinity is a wonderful suite of products, thanks a lot to the team for giving us this great set of tools! My request to the team is to expedite adding support for Indic scripts if possible. This will help a lot in reducing dependency on other products including CC.

WO, I really did not expect this. I was in the illusion that Affinity would by default support the basic features such as this! 

Humongous request,
Kindly do it as soon as possible. It is just is a necessity. हिंदी!

Affinity is not displaying Telugu language correctly.  Have spent about 3 hours trying to find a font that Affinity would display correctly and without success.  I then find this forum that shows Affinity doesn't support the fonts.  Adobe supports them.  I didn't want to go back to Adobe but may have to now.  I need to get this done. Why is this not fixed?  People have been asking for it for over a year!

Please advise when it is complete.

Kind Regards

Stu

Edited by smillarbitworks

Indian languages support (fonts showing up distorted) is a major issue in Affinity suite of products, and critically limits its usage for users like me. Otherwise it is a great product and value for money. Indian language users are handicapped by this issue. The fact that we can't even cut and paste from tools such as Google transliteration is very very disappointing. I request Affinity to fix this or at least provide a timeline for fixing the same. Thanks!

It's great that Affinity listens to its customers, I once worked with an Indian colleague and his work speed in his native language increased several times.