You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi everyone, I'm working on this image. As you can see the pot and the lid have not been too difficult so far but the label which is made up of multiple pieces is causing me problems. I want it to bend so as to fit the perspective of the part. In Corel draw this would be fairly easy using an envelope but in designer we do not have that option. I tried using liquefy in Photo by getting it to just curve rather than smudge didn't seem to be possible. I wish I could group it and then use the node tool to bend the group but this doesn't seem to be possible. What would you do if you are trying to put this piece together? Thanks very much for any help,

Phil

UA pot@2x.jpg

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

36 minutes ago, Phil_rose said:

Hmm. That's interesting. I haven't met the Mesh Warp Tool. Is that in Designer? I need to look into it. Thanks a lot!

Photo only I'm afraid

mesh.jpg.b9626d260f568f625782fd6db55db94d.jpg

Double click to apply nodes and warp away

warping.jpg.0d0a34631b69d20c4d5491bd320d1cb1.jpg

It will rasterise the objects, so best to do it large and reduce the result.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Hello Phil_rose,

With the "Pen Tool" you can draw a thick black line extending well beyond the bottle. Curve this line so that it follows the curve of the bottle. Then "Expand Stroke", set the outline to white and adjust its thickness to allow text to be inserted.
Draw two very fine vertical lines (higher than your line) that follow the outside of the bottle, select them and do "Expand Stroke". Then select the line representing the label and the two vertical lines, do a Boolean operation "Divide". Remove the parts outside the bottle.
Draw to finish the separations between the numbers and type these. You can apply a light "Shear" to the text near the edges of the bottle to follow the curvature of the label.
This way of proceeding is certainly not ideal but can perhaps do the trick while waiting for a dedicated tool in AD and the text remains editable. 

Label.png

Iv've tried similar things, and w/o a vector warp tool, it was fairly laborious.

A classic hand made approach be to drop vertical lines, similar to the white ones in the cap. Reproduce the cap curve four times at the appropriate position for the label. Then co-ordinate the vertical hashes w. the dropped lines. Squish the numbers to fit within the QuickWire.thumb.jpg.09312942c6b32e2d2b31bd6852184dc6.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Some basics about perspective can be helpfull to do the top and put your label.

Using a simple design in AD and modifying it in AP (perspective tool), to get roughtly the intersection points before repositionning the vector in AD can help for this sort of work.

Here a roughly made sketch with a basic perspective point.

perspective-.thumb.png.4bc69390c4cc7b6d8cb71144dc41574a.pngperspective2.thumb.png.d10da239b4a0f235ebd28567a296ae6c.png

perspective.afdesign

If you had to do the label in Designer & are not overly concerned about photo-realistic perspective, you could probably get away with making each number an individual Artistic text object & shearing each of them a bit, sort of like this Label.afdesign example.

label.jpg.fd4bb9cda594b60be47f3d6f559e5baf.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 hours ago, Wosven said:

Some basics about perspective can be helpfull to do the top and put your label.

Using a simple design in AD and modifying it in AP (perspective tool), to get roughtly the intersection points before repositionning the vector in AD can help for this sort of work.

Here a roughly made sketch with a basic perspective point.

perspective-.thumb.png.4bc69390c4cc7b6d8cb71144dc41574a.pngperspective2.thumb.png.d10da239b4a0f235ebd28567a296ae6c.png

perspective.afdesign

A follow on from Wosvens micro lesson, is to create the label (flat) print it off and stick it to a Clear straight beaker/cup, position it as you wish and photograph it, use that image as a trace image. This gives you something to work from, it gives you a feel for how things should actually look and helps you get a feel for perspectives, reflections, shadows etc.

You'd be surprised how good you can get something to look when basing it on a real world subject.

If I'm drawing blind; no reference image, I will draw some basic lines, that might include ellipses, or perspective lines.

1257258488_ScreenShot2018-08-26at08_54_27.png.5ba6679677846f61a5d9ea2a4954fd98.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Another thing to consider is a round object also has a back and sides, I have to go to work this morning but when I get back I'll do a couple of examples for you to look at.

Working on a Bank Holiday  ¬¬

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions