You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why OBS is not showing the canvas of Affinity Deisgner?

Greetings,

I have had this problem too on Photoshop, any other software works fine when you use Window Capture. However both Photoshop and Affinity Designer, I can't see the canvas.

Iimage.thumb.png.391bc68a18b270bff1eda9e82ed2d6dd.png

Is there any way to resolve this aside from using full display capture? Which defeats the purpose, since I want to record the application window.

Thank you.

• Staff

Hi Brian,

Unfortunately there is currently a bug between our apps and OBS where the canvas doesn't show when the scene is set to Window mode. However it will work on different settings.

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Thank you for the responses @GarryP @Callum @haakoo

-

Yeah do know of using Display Capture, but wanted to confirm to see if the canvas problem was on my side or not. Hopefully we can see a fix in the foreseeable future, I suppose for now will just have to continue using Display Capture.

@Callum I - and probably some others - would be very interested in learning a bit more about what the problem is.
Would you be able to give some details - if it's not giving away any proprietary secrets - about this issue?
Either in layman's terms or guru-speak would be fine (we can all do internet searches).
At the very least it might help us get some basic insight into how modern apps are developed and what some of the difficulties are when creating cutting-edge software like the Affinity range.
A little bit of a peek into the day-to-day trials and tribulations of software developers might help users understand something about - and gain more appreciation for - what the developers go through in order to create this software we like so much.
Also, if people can read about the sort of effort that goes into creating and maintaining complex software, they might be a little less eager to present frequent and repeated requests for "more stuff and quicker about it" (although, of course, that's not guaranteed).

Or they could work in several software developing companies as I did...(games, apps, and webs. Some concentrating the 3 in the same pack, and other combinations) . As a graphic guy web coding grunt, and other stuff, it was really exhausting (and  yet fun). But the coders, I mean, the actual programmers...those were really under pressure (not that I wasn't).  I did not really code, but I could see 'em loose blood, sweat and tears, every minute of every day ...truly...

They can explain u stuff, but if it is something remotely similar (maybe not, UK is extremely different (for good) to my country's work habits and company culture) to what I lived through a bunch of years, people wont get it fully... Will only see an abstraction, (probably sugar coated for all public) not the entire crude picture... (so, surely wouldn't  have the effect you mention, at the end....IMO )

If I could summarize in non technical ways what we all lived in most cases ... having no life, working till high hours in the night (often connecting with the morning and continuing) almost every weekend (at least they seem to stop, or most of them, then) and many days so too during the week, high pressure every minute, no time to breath. From what I read sometimes around here, is not the case. But even with a 20% of that, they deserve all the margins they need, and all the credit... (at least, from me...)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Same issue in Affinity Photo.

image.thumb.png.ab519fa9616b0e9153e5b702996debbd.png

EDIT: 

I use Windows 10 laptop with a single 1070 GPU (no integrated graphics).

Using Display Capture is not viable for me for two reasons:

1) I move and resize my windows regularly depending on my needs. Using Display Capture does not track my application or scale it within the bounds of my recording resolution. Because of that, cropping Display Capture to the edges of the Affinity application will reveal my desktop when I have to resize the application or move windows around in order to better view windows containing image references .

2) Also, I am not interested nor comfortable with showing my entire desktop to people while I record or stream.

In the following example I have cropped the Display Capture to my Affinity application's window size, and it is rescaled up to 1920x1080 in OBS. Then I moved/resized the window (as I would normally do in order to fit reference/other viewable content/etc on my screen):

Red = My desktop that I may not want viewers to see.

Green = Affinity Photo window rescaled and moved as needed. As you can see it is not only not scaled up to the resolution, but part of it is even cut off.

Blue = Areas that, overlapping or otherwise, may contain folders and or windows that reveals information that I may not want viewers to see:
— windows that may contain private files, folders, or information
— forums or private chats that I may not want viewers to read (browser-based/discord/twitch dashboard/etc.)
— OBS itself

image.png.bb41ba0b4d00d4360b9a9ff1fb901eb9.png

Edited by Guest
why Display Capture is not viable for me

It works on Mac.
1501057418_ScreenShot2019-03-26at21_12_06.thumb.png.172d72d980edfa01413e76e619323342.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

try settings sources to Display Capture

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

11 hours ago, firstdefence said:

try settings sources to Display Capture

I have amended my original response with an edit as to why I don't feel like Display Capture is a viable option for me.

37 minutes ago, c4blec said:

I have amended my original response with an edit as to why I don't feel like Display Capture is a viable option for me.

Just been on the OBS site and found this post which offered very little help other than try a different app: https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/what-is-the-settings-or-secret-for-photoshop-and-lightroom-in-obs.98932/#post-398259

Have you run the Auto Config wizard under Tools?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...