Talika Fuks

Consistent blur around the edges of a photo

Hello,

I have been wondering and trying to get a constant Blur around the sharp edges of a photo. I found tutorials for Photoshop but I couldn't figure out how to apply that on Affinity Photo. It used to be that the live filter layers could be edited by creating a mask but that worked really bad to not anyway and I am wondering if there is a way to have the outlines of a photo extremely blurred, so that it fades away?
Thanks.

14 hours ago, Talika Fuks said:

Hello,

I have been wondering and trying to get a constant Blur around the sharp edges of a photo. I found tutorials for Photoshop but I couldn't figure out how to apply that on Affinity Photo. It used to be that the live filter layers could be edited by creating a mask but that worked really bad to not anyway and I am wondering if there is a way to have the outlines of a photo extremely blurred, so that it fades away?
Thanks.

If you want it to fade away, like a vignette, what you could do is place a shape over the whole image and mask the image. Right click on the shape and choose (Mask to Below)

mask.jpg.0e476c17f88bd2a3c51665d1d21f5c37.jpg

If you then apply a Gaussian Blur layer effect, that just blurs the edges. Note, you must apply the layer effect to the mask layer only. So make sure you select just that by clicking on the mask layer thumbnail!

gauss.jpg.01fe865f8615ebe34484fc47fbba1d58.jpg

You can adjust the blur by both the Gaussian Blur slider and by dragging the edges of the masking shape.

You can use all sorts of shapes and fades

butt2.jpg.f5017afd85f6959c92e4c158cc683c52.jpg

This was an ellipse.

butt.jpg.20fa8c39bd0d3c76f79d911c9a9907d7.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

22 minutes ago, Fixx said:

It would be nice if there were a feather/blur edge layer effect available.

Maybe (no pleasing some people ;)) but the shape effect does allow more control.

How about a nice butterfly shaped fade ?

butbut.jpg.a6a2fc96f693032e21aa5b6367581c3c.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

36 minutes ago, Fixx said:

It would be nice if there were a feather/blur edge layer effect available.

Use Select > Outline

Refine the selection to add Feather

Apply Gaussian Blur

Due to the ongoing Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.