Phil_rose

Can we get text handling like this?

Hi all, I'm going to attach a video that I made of me using CorelDraw. I created a text block with three lines on it. I then selected it and pressed control and K. This breaks the three lines into three individual objects. I then select one of those lines of text and press control and K again. This breaks it into words. That key combination again breaks a word into individual letters. At the end of the video I moved from the Pick Tool to the Shape Tool which are analogous to the Move Tool and Node Tool in Affinity Designer. Using the Shape Tool I can pick a node next to any of the letters within a line of text and move it around in order to fine tune the placing. I do a lot of punk rock style design work and it's really nice to be able to mess with the leading in this way.

Is there any chance that Affinity could bring something like this? It would make a huge difference for me and I'm sure the others.

Thanks I look forward to people's thoughts.

Phil

PS sorry for the Renegade Soundwave playing on the video. I forgot that my computer would record that. My wife pointed out that it is indeed a renegade soundwave.

ScreenHunter 01.mp4

9 minutes ago, Phil_rose said:

I do a lot of punk rock style design work

I assume this will be called the 'Punk Rock Tool' with the keyboard shortcut 'K' as in RocK :)

Seriously, I can see other uses for this function, too.

Affinity Publisher will bring us more overall text tools like linked frame text.

Affinity Designer could benefit from this kind of more detailed and sophisticated text handling.

d.

43 minutes ago, Phil_rose said:

it's really nice to be able to mess with the leading in this way

Just to make sure you know: though the Affinity applications don't have a tool like that, you can adjust the leading within text. There's no need to break it into lines, words or letters.