You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

questions concerning cut out techniques

Let me start with saying i support your efforts 110%, and I'm pretty sure by now you're totally sick of hearing "but i do it this way in photoshop" - but... i could use some help here.  

Today i decided to use Photo instead of photoshop for a non-deadline intensive project.  Its simple, basically i just have to cut some cars out of their backgrounds, save them as a .tga with a alpha channel.

Now usually i use the lasso tool, in combination with the option key.  In PS the option key switches the tool from the "connect the dots" approach to the "draw your selection" approach.  There are many benefits to this design, it really speeds things up (since i cut out ALOT of cars...whee).  anyway.  

Question One: Is there a way to do this alternating lasso approach in Photo?

Question Two: an alternative to that approach is using paths to make the selection. Is that possible?

Question Three:  What is your process for cutting out objects?

• Staff

It would be great to see what kind of images you need to cut out.

My guess is that the selection brush and selection refinement would work the best. Ash produced a quick video on how it works. 

As for the lasso then you can use the Free Hand selection tool and hold the shift key when you want a straight lines.

Hi safoster71!

You can use the classic pen tool and draw a vector shape to mask/cut-out your area.

It is pretty easy to manage, and obviously remains editable.

cutOut.png

Simply trace your shape with pen, fill it with any colour and drag on the side of your layer.

It will act as a clipping vector mask.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

I'm with safoster71 on this.

I use the magnetic lasso tool in Photoshop all the time. Without something similar I just cannot leave Photoshop. I often do complex selections of things like a cyclist at the head of a pack of others, so you have a huge amount of detail all crammed together, a mix of wheels, jerseys, handlebars, cables, levers, spokes, gears and chains etc. I need to be able to select out one at the front to use independently.

I have tried the options suggested above and they are just way too slow and clumsy compared to the magnetic lasso tool, and hand drawing selections means I end up with all the imperfections of my wobbles and also pointed angles instead of smooth curves. I have to have the image well zoomed in to see the detail and then I reach the bottom of the visible area and I cannot keep going down until I stop, and then scroll down, and have to then reselect and add to the already selected area. Just not practical.

Hope you can add something like the magnetic lasso tool or even like the Pixelmator lasso tool, which would be better than the options now, but to be honest I still wouldn't switch from Photoshop without a good alternative to the magnetic lasso tool. Perhaps too complex to add soon?

I love the potential of this app, I have looked at Pixelmator several times but it just didn't attract me. Photo I fell in love with straight away, and would love to switch from Photoshop. Keep up the good work!!!

We will add a 'Magnetic' and 'Polygon' mode to our lasso tool. I just don't like adding separate tools for things like this but hopefully everyone will be happy with the results.

Great!!! I am a future customer for sure!! Love the rest of it in general, but needs some other additions of course as others have set out. Would love to give Adobe the flick.

We will add a 'Magnetic' and 'Polygon' mode to our lasso tool. I just don't like adding separate tools for things like this but hopefully everyone will be happy with the results.

+1 @TonyB, duplicate tools which are really subsets of the same tool with modified behavior only clutter the UI. Best to nest it as a sub-tool or a modifier based behavior.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.