Bri-Toon

Affinity Designer Tips and Tricks

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I made a series of video tutorials on Affinity Designer. I wanted to wait until I had at least 8 before making a topic on it. Now it's time to show what I put together. These tutorials require some background knowledge in the program. They are not so much meant to teach you how to use it, but they are to teach you a certain way of using the tools. I wanted to have each of these videos be nice and short but informative. I hope you get something from them.

Hi there, These are good but too fast to see what you're doing easily and there is no speech, to tell you either.

Could you zoom in or else put on screen what tools you are using as it is hard to see.

Thanks...

34 minutes ago, peaches said:

Hi there, These are good but too fast to see what you're doing easily and there is no speech, to tell you either.

Could you zoom in or else put on screen what tools you are using as it is hard to see.

Thanks...

Thank you for your feedback, and sure thing. In these videos, I was trying to keep them within a certain length and not to provide anything other than what was being covered in each, but someone else thought the same. So I know for future reference, which parts do you feel went too fast and needed more explanation?

Hi.
Thanks for the videos. You show good points regarding strokes and fill. I think I can learn a lot from them! 
When you use text instead of sound, I get confused when I need to read the text and you are showing what to do in the same time.
The text appears  and disappears before I know it's there. (I'm looking at what you do). 
I would like that the text is separated from the  "doing". Then I can pause and read it in my own pace. A few times it appears on you desktop (?) I like that.
I think the video would be better if you work in full screen, not so much "clutter". 
I hope you that this as a positive, friendly feedback.
I'm looking forward to more tutorials. I haven't seen all of them yet, so I will see the rest tonight and tomorrow.

Bri-Toon likes this

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Affinity Designer 1.6.0

MacBook Pro 8 GB
High Sierra 10.13.1

They are also too fast for me but if you access the settings option on the videos you can change the speed to 25% which makes them a bit easier to follow

Madame likes this

Due to the impending Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

I appreciate everyone's feedback, and I respect the honest criticism. Now I know what to improve. For tutorial 9, I will be sure to slow things down and be more explanatory. I guess it's like taking a new job. The trainer who has been there for a while does not realize how much needs to be covered because he or she is so use to the system. It's no problem at all.

Would people still prefer a text tutorial, or a verbal one?

MaryLou likes this

Thank You for your helpful video's. Really appreciated, you covered things I could not find elsewhere. 

I think these are brilliant videos and explained very well, thank you Bri-Toon.  I look forward to seeing more from you.   

On 11/15/2017 at 7:49 AM, Bri-Toon said:

I appreciate everyone's feedback, and I respect the honest criticism. Now I know what to improve. For tutorial 9, I will be sure to slow things down and be more explanatory. I guess it's like taking a new job. The trainer who has been there for a while does not realize how much needs to be covered because he or she is so use to the system. It's no problem at all.

Would people still prefer a text tutorial, or a verbal one?

Myself, I prefer written tutorials.  I can go back and re-read what I don't understand and do it again until I do.  With videos, I spend far too much time backing up the video because I either didn't see how the author did something or there is no voice to tell me, and then there are people who have a heavy accent which makes it a bit difficult to understand.  The written word takes care of all those problems.  There's one video tut writer (don't recall his name) but he has an accent and tends to lower his voice when saying the last 3-4 words. So, I have to back it up again, usually several times, so I can figure it out.  I have not tried these tutorials yet but will give them a shot.  I only replied because you did ask what people prefer.