You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there,

When you're adjusting a curve with the node handles,

Is there any way to

a) make the opposite handle follow your adjustment as exact mirror image – i.e., so the two sides of a curve are perfectly symmetrical?

and 

b) have the handles themselves snap to grid? So that the curve can be repeated perfectly, on another node?

I'm imagining this could be invoked with Control or Command

Thanks!

• Staff

Hello pbass,

Welcome to Affinity Forums.

1) No, not possible yet as you're describing (real time mirroring). But if you press shift while you are adjusting the lenght of one handle it will snap to the same lenght as the other (one vertical line will appear in each handle to let you know that both have the same lenght)

2) No, currently Affinity Designer doesn't snap the control handles to the grid (yet). This was already requested a couple times and it will be looked at later along as some more snapping features/improvements.

MEB wrote:

But if you press shift while you are adjusting the lenght of one handle it will snap to the same lenght as the other (one vertical line will appear in each handle to let you know that both have the same lenght)

Thanks MEB, that's helpful.

I'm slowly exploring AD and having a blast doing it. 

The inclusion of many the many raster tools is extremely useful to me.

I can't wait to see your quality software develop over the coming months & years.

Cheers,

- pbass

• 4 weeks later...

In case Serif is prioritizing feature implementation based on user demand, please add my vote for what pbass is describing. Quick handle symmetry and handles snapping to grid are both important to me. I now understand that the first part can be accomplished with the shift key (thanks for the tip, MEB!), but it's still slower and less predictable than simply pressing shift while dragging one handle and having both extend out together.

• 5 years later...

It's been 5 years. We still can't hold CRL while dragging a handle to make our adjustment symmetric. This is a relatively simple thing that would go a long way. I'm gonna reply to this thread to hopefully remind Serif about this. 

I love your software, but sometimes it confuses me how many minute (and amazing) features you can add before you have even got the basics. I, and many others, would appreciate this little change that would make a big improvement. 

You can on Mac, I'm using Affinity Designer 1.8.6 snap to grid is still a pipe dream. see that guys post below, I stand corrected.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions