You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Saving Logo For All Formats

Can someone please tell me what might be a standard size, to save a logo in for all formats.  I'm not sure if I've asked this question correctly, but I designed a logo (amateur with great skills) for my friend and need to save in all formats.  Right now my screen shows:

Size:           3300 px x 2550 px
Preset:       PNG-24

Resample: Bilinear

Fonts at:   288 pts.

When I Export it, it looks normal, but I don't know how to tell what will happen on different platforms...Facebook, Website, Etc..  So I'm asking about a "standard" size that might work for every format.  Not too large, or to small.  This is a vector design that I want to save in every format to include,  (PNG, JPEG, GIF, TIFF, PDF, EPS, SVG, PSD, etc.)  And, which of these formats can be stretched without losing clarity if need be?  And, can I get all of these individual item formats on one page?  lf you're thinking "popcorn" has NO CLUE, you're right!  But, I can put my vision on paper and every time, they like it!  HA!  Thank you for your "knowledgeable" Affinity Designer help!  

My best,

Popncorn

CRAZZY SOXX 1***.afdesign

If you want to put the logo on the web it will most likely never be wider than 1000px. And even that size would only be reached if you feature it specifically in some kind of presentation. However, considering different pixel density on different displays it’s good to have some room, so a width of around 400–600px should be OK. This is only relevant for raster graphics (PNG, JPEG, GIF); for scalable formats such as SVG the size doesn’t matter as it can be scaled at free will.

Why do you want to export it to all formats if I may ask?

If you want to put the logo on the web it will most likely never be wider than 1000px. And even that size would only be reached if you feature it specifically in some kind of presentation. However, considering different pixel density on different displays it’s good to have some room, so a width of around 400–600px should be OK. This is only relevant for raster graphics (PNG, JPEG, GIF); for scalable formats such as SVG the size doesn’t matter as it can be scaled at free will.

Why do you want to export it to all formats if I may ask?

Thanks Stephan!  I believe, different platforms require different sizes.  In this case, he is looking to use the logo on everything from a paper bag to a cap, a t-shirt, signage and of course on social media platforms.  I think they all require different sizes.  Check out the link above that Lee sent.  Pretty cool!  Thanks so much for responding. 

So when exporting, I just change the size for the perspective extension and save?  I'll try that now, but for some reason, I don't think that's gonna work.  Okay, I'm confused now that I've given this more thought.  I just thought the size that I saved the logo in was pretty big.  3300px x 2550px.  I probably am thinking all wrong. So if I save it in this size (I didn't do this on purpose) can I just make it smaller when I need to?  When I hit the EXPORT button and then viewed the logo in different extensions, it got bigger and sometimes smaller.  Is that right?  Once I send it to him in the above size, will he be able to re-size if need be?  Or, will it be stationary and he will have no control over sizing?  I need to make sure he can pull it and stretch it, etc.  Yep, I'm confused!!!  lol

I appreciate your answers!  I think I just watched a video on how to do this.  Starts with saving as a PDF file and then you can change from a drop-down box for business cards, letterhead, different types of paper, etc.  Please let me know if that is what I need to do.  

PS - I told you I'm confused...ALWAYS!  But I never stop trying!!!  Love this program, I just need more time to figure everything out.  I fall asleep, with my computer by my side, reading and trying to learn the program!  Love the AD! 

For print just export a PDF; that format is universally compatible and can contain vectors (scalable shapes/objects). For screen use SVG where allowed/supported or PNG for lossless raster graphics. For web you need to keep the file size in mind; you need to find a good compromise between file size and quality. I don’t know what your logo looks like (and can’t be bothered to download your source file) but assuming the logo consists of simple shapes with few colors file size should never be larger than 50kb. If it has millions of colors JPEG is probably better than PNG.

You don’t need to export to PSD, EPS, or TIFF if you just want to provide the customer the finished logo. PDF, SVG, and PNG (or alternatively JPEG) should suffice.

• 2 weeks later...

Still having one issue with this logo that I need help with please!  I was able to save and get done what my friend wanted to do with the logo, but when trying to use it in the header of her Facebook page, the file/picture will not open.  She does not have AffinityD, so I saved as Vector, PNG and PDF.  Should I have done something different?  I think I'm trying to get that floating effect, where there is no background and the logo can be placed on top of anything.  I am still a NEWBIE and trying to grasp all, but sometimes the brain does not function with instructions that are too simple!  lol  So if you can help me with this, please BREAK IT ALL THE WAY DOWN!  THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

And while I have you, can you tell me where I can find definitions of PAGE PRESETS?  Like what do A4, A5, A6, etc. stand for/equal to?  I can't see that anywhere.  Thanks again! 

popncorn

I can't help with the Facebook issue but info about the "A" series of paper sizes can be found in many places on the web, for example here.

Note that these are not exactly page sizes but paper sizes.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I can't help with the Facebook issue but info about the "A" series of paper sizes can be found in many places on the web, for example here.

Note that these are not exactly page sizes but paper sizes.

Thank you RCR!  That's a start!  It's the Texan in you, that assisted a fellow Texan!  Thanks again!

...but when trying to use it in the header of her Facebook page, the file/picture will not open.  She does not have AffinityD, so I saved as Vector, PNG and PDF.  Should I have done something different?  

I looked at several facebook pages, and after using the page element inspector, all the images used as banners and identifier were .jpg. My assumption that is the facebook standard. Jpg's are typically much smaller than .png. Jpg doesn't handle transparency, so if you want the logo floating over a background, it will need to be a composite.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I looked at several facebook pages, and after using the page element inspector, all the images used as banners and identifier were .jpg. My assumption that is the facebook standard. Jpg's are typically much smaller than .png. Jpg doesn't handle transparency, so if you want the logo floating over a background, it will need to be a composite.

Thank you gdenby.  I will try to save as a jpeg and see if that works.