You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.0.21212)

Hahaha, I thought you might like that one! ;)

This is a great feature because from the same base I can emulate different pigments and save both.

For example starting form this watercolour I can "extend" to a gouache behaviour simply changing blend mode to Average and saving it.

AD_gouache.png

Really effective in terms of ux

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Hi edge07,

Can you tell me what things you're actually doing when you get all these crashes with the beta? - because it's really quite stable for my use... There are millions of lines of code and if I don't know what to look at, how can I fix it?

Thanks,

Matt

This is probably not the same crash as edge07 but I can reliably crash the beta time after time in the following way:

1) Create a new document (you don't have to draw anything)

2) Save it

3) Use the "Save As" option in the file menu or use the SHIFT-CMD-S shortcut and save it as the same file name

4) It will ask if you want to replace the file. Select "Replace".

5) CRASH!

Sometimes it will make it through without crashing but saving over it again will probably do the trick

Hope that's helpful (I can post / send the problem report if you'd like)

• Staff

Thanks for that report Garytagreg - I've tried and tried and I can't get it to fall over on my machine... Do you, by any chance, have a MacBook Pro Retina with a discrete graphics card? If so, could you try checking or unchecking the option in Affinity Designer's Preferences to use only the integrated graphics card, and see if that affects things?

Thanks!

Matt

Garytagreg, interesting I couldn't get my setup to crash doing that.  Tried it about 10 times without drawing anything, then 10 times with a simple shape between each save as.  This must drive the programmers CRAZY! :wacko:   We've got the easy task, just finding the problems.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Matt,

Yes, I am on a Macbook Pro Retina (15-inch Early 2013) with discrete GPU.

I tried the following settings combinations:

1) Hardware GL, Discrete GPU

2) Hardware GL, Integrated GPU

3) Software GL, Discrete GPU

4) Software GL, Integrated GPU

All crashed with the process detailed above. Looking at the problem reports, it seems that it is an issue to do with the Intel HD4000 driver, which is mentioned in each report, even when using the discrete card.

I have saved the reports and uploaded them to dropbox here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25107119/2014-12-15%20Affinity%20Crash%20Reports.zip

I hope they can help

Glad to help. As long as I don't try to "save as" over an existing file it doesn't really bother me much. I, too, have experienced some other crashes but wasn't really paying attention to what I was doing when they occurred. I'll let you know if I figure any out.

By the way, if it affects anything, the new image settings I am using are:

Photo

<Custom>

Pixels

RGB/8

sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Transparent Background

1000 x 1000

300 DPI

<edit: removed ridiculously huge image and just wrote the info instead >

• Staff

From our crash reporter I can see that 84% of our crashes with this beta have been caused by front-end bugs concerning an optimisation we made with the context toolbar. Andy Tang has already identified the problem and is looking to resolve it asap, so hopefully a lot of the issues people are having will just magically disappear in the next beta update - hopefully later this week :)

Frequently if I am zoomed into something, when I grab a ruler to create a guide the object that is behind the ruler is grabbed and moved instead of a guide being created.

Likewise when moving a guide into the ruler to remove it from the drawing frequently when I pan up I find the guide still in the drawing it was just moved behind the ruler instead of being deleted.

Crash when changing fill colour.

Reality is perception. Perception is reality. You are in charge of both.

iMac  |  21.5  |  Mid 2011                 MacBook Air  |  13 inch  |  Early 2015

2.5 GHz  |  i5 quad                          1.6 GHz  |  Core i5

20 GB Ram  |  10.12.6                     8 GB Ram  |  10.13.6

I'm experiencing issues with the layer panel after a few minutes working on an illustration with many layers. That issue is that I'm unable to drag and drop (rearranging) the layers anymore. Online restarting the application helps. 

One minor feature that I am missing (besides arrow-heads in the stroke menu - which is not minor) is the "grouping" ability of selected layers into a new, not yet existing layer via a context-menu option at the layers panel. Currently I have to create a new layer, selecting the source layers and dragging them manually into the new layer (this is where I've firstly realised the above mentioned issue).

I'm experiencing issues with the layer panel after a few minutes working on an illustration with many layers. That issue is that I'm unable to drag and drop (rearranging) the layers anymore. Online restarting the application helps. 

One minor feature that I am missing (besides arrow-heads in the stroke menu - which is not minor) is the "grouping" ability of selected layers into a new, not yet existing layer via a context-menu option at the layers panel. Currently I have to create a new layer, selecting the source layers and dragging them manually into the new layer (this is where I've firstly realised the above mentioned issue).

After selecting the layers do a cmd G to put them in a new group automatically.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.