You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Literally the simplisest tool in a paint program...

How do I fill in Affinity Designer?

I've tried to use the fill tool in both DRAW and PIXEL and neither work.

I've now spent two hours of my day on this and I'm now wasting even more time typing out this email to your company b/c you can't design for shit.

IT IS LITERALLY THE MOST SIMPLE ACTION A USER WILL USE IN A PAINT PROGRAM.

WHY DOES IT TAKE A USER TWO HOURS TO FIGURE IT OUT?

1.afdesign

• Staff

Hi Vega,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The file you have attached above has a pixel selection active. Press ⌘ (cmd) + D to deselect it so you can fill the entire pixel layer (the first one on the top of the layers stack in the Layers panel).

If you want to fill the page in Pixel Persona with black for example, create a Pixel layer (clicking the Add Pixel Layer button on the bottom of the layers panel, change to the Flood Fill Tool (the bucket icon), make sure you have black selected in the Colour panel and click on canvas to fill the pixel layer you just created with black (you may want to move this layer to the bottom of the layers stack to place it below everything else).

An alternative way in Draw Persona would be to draw a rectangle with the Rectangle Tool and fill it with black (go to the context bar right above the work area. click the Fill colour well and choose black (move this rectangle shape to the bottom of the layers stack to place it below everything else).

Let me know if you still have trouble.

Hi Vega,

One reason you may be having problems with this is Affinity Designer is not a paint program. It is a vector creation app that includes a limited number of pixel based ('paint') features that can be used with rasterized (also known as bitmapped) images. Raster & vector formats have very different properties, which is why Affinity Designer offers separate Personas for working with vector (Draw) & raster (Pixel) objects.

Understanding their differences is fundamental to understanding how AD works & why it is designed as it is. Once you get that out of the way, the rest should be much easier.  :)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

R C-R,

Affinity is an hybrid vector/raster based program. It includes the same raster based engine/brushes as Affinity Photo (in Pixel Persona) - besides the vector brush engine in Draw Persona - and can also be used as a paint program. It also provides adjustements in case you need to fine tune/manipulate layer's colours. It can be particularly effective for works where you want to draw/ink with vectors while still taking advantage of the raster brush engine for shading/texturing.

I know it is a hybrid app. My point is if someone is not aware of the differences between vector & raster based items, then a lot of how it works will seem illogical & be very difficult to understand. Good examples of that are the difference between pixel & vector brushes, & why some tools are available only in one Persona but not the other.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Why does it seem that the folks with 1 or 2 posts (brand new users, I presume) are more likely to be the ones telling Serif (and all of us) that their products are crap? Why is it that the same users don't seem to want to read a Help file, ask a civilized question in the Forum, or simply accept that this program is not Photoshop? Why do newbies seem to be more likely to rant in ALL CAPS?

It gets old, doesn't it?

Also - a shout-out to R-C-R for his consistent mild temperament and reasoned responses. We should all be so calm...

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

I know it is a hybrid app. My point is if someone is not aware of the differences between vector & raster based items, then a lot of how it works will seem illogical & be very difficult to understand. Good examples of that are the difference between pixel & vector brushes, & why some tools are available only in one Persona but not the other.

The brushes thing isn't helped, IMO, by the fact that APh will report successful import of vector brushes, even though you can't use them there.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

It gets old, doesn't it?

Yes it does, but it is understandable. I think all of us at one time or another have gotten frustrated & perhaps a little angry because it takes longer than we expected to figure out how something works.

Regarding your shout-out, I thank you very much for that, but in all honesty it is not so much that I have a mild temperament as it is that I am all too aware of what is likely to happen when I don't take the time to cool down before saying, writing, or doing something in response to something that might have upset me.

Affinity Photo