You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My logo, which one do you prefer?

Nic727

My personal recommendation is something along these lines. Note: this logo was literally made in under 5 minutes haha, do not use this logo. It's merely so I can communicate a concept to you.

If it were for one of my clients, I would probably add a "folded ribbon" look to this logo. Make it look like it's one constant ribbon that is being folded at each of the bends. It works in a logo like this, because you could make this logo in the physical world using a single strip of fabric. 

To be clear, this is the style I'm referring to.

Again, not telling you to do this or that it is best. I'm just communicating what I would do if I were building this for a client.

Good luck :)

NDLogo.jpg

For your question, I meant something like this.

Layer1.png.e61a0c5b0df78c6af357b4b1fb57aa93.png

However, it looks like you really want to have an indication of a camera. Perhaps have a shutter shape or a doubled ring. With just a circle, it's hard to tell. I do like the offset of the second one though.

Looking at the one @garetmckinley put up, I played around with it and made a shutter shape inside the D.

Logo.png

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Not really a fan of transparency in logos (it's not flexible enough in certain contexts), but the one with the shutter is the first logo I've seen in this thread that actually portrays that it's supposed to be a camera. To be honest I didn't read through all the replies on this thread, and had no idea that the circle in the middle of the logo was supposed to be a camera lens.

Also for future reference, when designing a logo, make sure to zoom out until the logo is under an inch tall. This will inform you whether or not details are too small to be clearly visible when the logo needs to be small. I say this because the last logo you posted had points coming off of the top left and bottom right parts of the logo. While you may think it looks fine blown up, as soon as you zoom out (especially combined with the transparency), they become very difficult to see and make the logo feel muddy. You want your logo to feel crisp regardless of the render size.

I agree with your feedback. Perhaps the transparency can just be a lighter color value instead but not see through. And yes, size is definitely important.

What do you think, Nic?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 2 weeks later...

I really love your suggestion. I will try to remove transparency and try to get the same color to make the ribbon effect.

About the shutter in the D, I think it's a nice idea, but I think a bit too complexe for logo and can be difficult to see if the logo is too small.

I think I will just forget the camera shutter from my logo and keep it super simple.

logo.png

Hello Nic727,

Just a small suggestion without pretense: if you want to keep the shutter in the logo, you could write it in the N. I did not make it bigger to keep the N legible but I think it would remain visible even in small size.

Logo Nic727.png

Cool shutter shape, but personally, I like the logo better without it.

@Nic727

I really like that one. I think it's your best yet. My only suggestion is to not have the purple steal the main interest. Either have more of it flow in the gradient, or change the purple segment to a light blue. Looking at it from a distance, the purple is by itself.

Thank you.

FINAL

logo.png

Now time to design my future website :)

PS: How can I export only the vector and not the full Artboard? Can't find the Export option... Also transparency settings? Is it possible to keep transparency background, but not the transparency of the vector (or I will have to change the color manually)?

I also did an abstract logo which is only three lines reprensenting the three lines of the N. lol. Was just for fun... I went there https://www.lytro.com/ and saw the kind of R where you only have one side of the letter. I though maybe I could do the same, but not sure about the result lol. The other one above is good.

logo.png

10 hours ago, Nic727 said:

PS: How can I export only the vector and not the full Artboard? Can't find the Export option... Also transparency settings? Is it possible to keep transparency background, but not the transparency of the vector (or I will have to change the color manually)?

For transparencies, select the Move Tool with nothing selected and go into Document Setup. From there, go into the Color tab and check off Transparent background.

To export only the vector, you can either create a slice in the Export persona or resize your artboard to crop it out and press Delete to set a new document size. If you go with the Slices approach, it is easiest to make slices in the Layers tab, but you must be under the Slices tab to export the slice. And you can choose which slices you don't want to export.

However, this will also export vector transparencies. For this, you will have to change the color manually.

I also did an abstract logo which is only three lines reprensenting the three lines of the N. lol. Was just for fun... I went there https://www.lytro.com/ and saw the kind of R where you only have one side of the letter. I though maybe I could do the same, but not sure about the result lol. The other one above is good.

I like how much your design changed from your original. It shows you're really putting thought into it.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎02 at 9:58 AM, Bri-Toon said:

For transparencies, select the Move Tool with nothing selected and go into Document Setup. From there, go into the Color tab and check off Transparent background.

To export only the vector, you can either create a slice in the Export persona or resize your artboard to crop it out and press Delete to set a new document size. If you go with the Slices approach, it is easiest to make slices in the Layers tab, but you must be under the Slices tab to export the slice. And you can choose which slices you don't want to export.

However, this will also export vector transparencies. For this, you will have to change the color manually.

I like how much your design changed from your original. It shows you're really putting thought into it.

OK thank you. Because I know that in Illustrator you have the option to not export artboard, but only objects inside.

Well, that's the final!

One choice between 3... It will be the final one for the last couple of years. I'm very slow at working on it, because I'm just not working on it every days lol. In fact, it take me a couple of minutes to an hour to do that lol.

Logo_new.jpg

3 hours ago, Nic727 said:

Well, that's the final!

One choice between 3...

For my pick, I choose the first one of those three.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm... I started working on it again after a little break. Well... I think I will change again, because this logo is good, but I think it's too agressive. Since I want to use it on my website and as possible watermark on photos, it need to be simple and elegant at the same time. I tried this one in white with transparency on a photo and it's very agressive.

The logo is good, but for a brand or something like that, maybe not photography.

I know lot of photographers are having a Photologo signature and other have some small images too like

So, I need something simple, clean, elegant that represent me and what I like. I also don't want to copy anyone logo and that's hard since there is millions of them on the web. I like travelling, nature and wildlife. I also love mountains, but don't want to copy the guy above lol. So something that inspire liberty and travel. I thought about something like this windy shape. You still can see the N, but very subtle. What do you think?

HMM.jpg

log.png

Well. I like it more since it's more elegant, but I have two issues that need to be addressed.

1. Would like to keep the same space all the way between the two, but it's very hard. How can I achieve that?

2. I'm scare about this little part. Do you think it's too thin for web?

log2.png

• Staff

Hi Nick,

Nice thread and discussion going on here. If you don't want to explore a conventional logo due to its relation with commercial branding, why not try a stylised signature with a customised script font or drawn from scratch (if you are inclined to do it)?

It's an approach used by several photographers that's more personal and works equally well as a logo/watermark.

1 hour ago, Nic727 said:

but I have two issues that need to be addressed.

1. Would like to keep the same space all the way between the two, but it's very hard. How can I achieve that?

2. I'm scare about this little part. Do you think it's too thin for web?

0. There are more issues, because design(ing) is something that cannot be learned in one thread.

1. Use a curve with constant stroke width (and Expand Stroke and Substract).

2. Of course. Even this size looks unprofessional. From professionals you get differenty corrected versions for different sizes.

I love how dedicated you are on this. You keep changing until you are happy. That's what it takes, man.

1 hour ago, Oval said:

1. Use a curve with constant stroke width (and Expand Stroke and Substract).

Just what I was going to say. Also, Nic, perhaps hold Alt before subtracting so the compounds can be moved if needed.

3 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Nick,

Nice thread and discussion going on here. If you don't want to explore a conventional logo due to its relation with commercial branding, why not try a stylised signature with a customised script font or drawn from scratch (if you are inclined to do it)?

It's an approach used by several photographers that's more personal and works equally well as a logo/watermark.

Yeah I know https://photologo.co/ which are making amazing signatures!

But making my own will be impossible since I still don't have a great signature IRL, so having it on photos... no! Making one from photologo for example could be a great idea, but I'm a bit scare since if someone contact me for whatever reason and need a signature, I will not be able to do it myself lol!

-----------------

I tried with constant stroke and duplicating. Always have a difference of size between the two lines. Maybe because of the curve/shape of it. Well, I did a minor change here and it looks much better.

final.png