You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Find and Replace Text

4 minutes ago, ikarus said:

Me? Did you read the complete thread? Many people requesting it since 2014!!!

If I want something, I don't rely on other people to ask. ;)

However, if you look at Alfred's post before yours, you'll see someone already has: follow the link and go and add your voice. :)

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

35 minutes ago, ikarus said:

I can't understand why you make an effort so hard on defending the lack of what in fact is an absolute standard tool in any program out there.

Illustrator has it.
Corel Draw has it.
Inkscape has it.
Freehand has (or had) it.

Do you need me to continue?

No, I don't need you to continue.

But Serif has chosen to partition the functions available in their applications, in a way that should guide users to using the right (intended) software for their projects. There are many new enhancements in text processing available in Publisher, and Publisher is clearly positioned as the application Serif expects users to use for text-heavy projects. Previously, before Publisher, Designer or Photo could be used, with missing function. Now, Publisher should be used if it is the application that has the functions you want/need. Photo is better for projects largely needing pixel-based functions, and Designer is better for projects largely needing vector-based functions. And now, Publisher is available for projects needing text-based functions, and with Publisher you can also use the Photo and Designer personas to get pixel- or vector-based additional functions.

It seems unlikely that Designer will gain these additional functions, at least in version 1. We'll have to see someday what happens in version 2. But for now, pragmatically, you can complain about lack of text-based functions in Designer or spend a bit more and get Publisher, and an easy platform for integrating your vector-, pixel-, and text-based work.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

But Serif has chosen to partition the functions available in their applications, in a way that should guide users to using the right (intended) software for their projects.

For better or worse, I think that also includes using other apps besides the Affinity ones for functions that either none of the Affinity ones support at all, or work better or are easier to use in one or more of those others.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Here's what you do (I just tried it). Type your text in Affinity Designer. Go to File, choose Edit in Publisher. Affinity Publisher opens and your text is there. Go to Text, choose Find and use the Find/Replace function. When you're finished, go to File, choose Edit in Designer. Your text is now back in Affinity Designer the way you wish it to be. Nothing remains in Publisher. It passes it there for editing and passes it back to Designer when complete.

This may be an extra step and you will need to buy Publisher to use this method. Publisher is made to handle text formatting anyway so it is a good tool to have in your arsenal. Happy find and replacing! 

22 minutes ago, mizwizzy said:

Here's what you do (I just tried it). Type your text in Affinity Designer. Go to File, choose Edit in Publisher. Affinity Publisher opens and your text is there. Go to Text, choose Find and use the Find/Replace function. When you're finished, go to File, choose Edit in Designer. Your text is now back in Affinity Designer the way you wish it to be. Nothing remains in Publisher. It passes it there for editing and passes it back to Designer when complete.

This may be an extra step and you will need to buy Publisher to use this method. Publisher is made to handle text formatting anyway so it is a good tool to have in your arsenal. Happy find and replacing! 

Thank you! it's a good trick.
But I'm not sure if this trick can work correctly, in cases where there are many objects, on a map for example.

Thanks again!

11 hours ago, ivan.dedos said:

But I'm not sure if this trick can work correctly, in cases where there are many objects, on a map for example.

It should work. You can try it in the Trial version of Publisher if you don't already own it.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

12 hours ago, mizwizzy said:

Thanks for the try and the help, but if the solution requires Publisher... it's not exactly a solution.

4 hours ago, ikarus said:

Thanks for the try and the help, but if the solution requires Publisher... it's not exactly a solution.

It is a solution, just not a no-cost one. Each of the 3 Affinity apps was designed with a different but partially overlapping set of tools best suited for different kinds of work, leaving it to users to decide which if any of them are worth buying to get the tools they want or need.

They could have done it differently, with a lot more overlap in the toolsets, but that almost certainly would have resulted in higher prices.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...
On 8/11/2021 at 15:18, walt.farrell said:

No, no necesito que continúes.

Pero Serif ha optado por particionar las funciones disponibles en sus aplicaciones, de una manera que debería guiar a los usuarios a utilizar el software adecuado (previsto) para sus proyectos. Hay muchas mejoras nuevas en el procesamiento de texto disponibles en Publisher, y Publisher está claramente posicionado como la aplicación que Serif espera que los usuarios utilicen para proyectos con mucho texto. Anteriormente, antes se podía usar Publisher, Designer o Photo, con la función faltante. Ahora, se debe usar Publisher si es la aplicación que tiene las funciones que desea/necesita. Photo es mejor para proyectos que necesitan en gran medida funciones basadas en píxeles, y Designer es mejor para proyectos que necesitan en gran medida funciones basadas en vectores. Y ahora, Publisher está disponible para proyectos que necesitan funciones basadas en texto,

Parece poco probable que Designer obtenga estas funciones adicionales, al menos en la versión 1. Tendremos que ver algún día qué sucede en la versión 2. Pero por ahora, pragmáticamente, puede quejarse de la falta de funciones basadas en texto en Designer o gastar un poco más y obtenga Publisher, y una plataforma sencilla para integrar su trabajo basado en vectores, píxeles y texto.

Please!! This is need for me, I work with technical sheets in Designer and constantly remplace text, dates, names etc... Publisher is not the best app for mya technical sheets.

1 hour ago, rvsf said:

Please!! This is need for me, I work with technical sheets in Designer and constantly remplace text, dates, names etc... Publisher is not the best app for mya technical sheets.

Why isn't Publisher a good fit for you?

-- Walt
PC: