Mithferion

Affinity Designer - Cropping based on a shape

Hi!

I didn't find anything like this so I ask you guys.

Using Inkscape I can crop ("clip" as it's called) a raster image using any vector shape

The way to do this is putting the shape above the raster image, select both, go Object > Clip > Set; the result is a raster image like the following example in the attached PNG. That's the way I put some texture or anything in certain shapes.

Is there a way to do something like that? If that's not the case, sounds reasonable as a Feature request?

Best regards!

post-41989-0-88588700-1480757740_thumb.png

You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: Hot to do High Quality Art :: Mesh Warp / Distort Tool Considerations

Hi Mithferion,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Drag the image/texture layer over the shape layer you want to use as a clipping layer in the Layers panel (over the area on the right, not over its thumbnail).

Another way is to copy the image/texture, then select the shape and go to menu Edit ▸ Paste Inside.

Woah! Thanks a lot, man! :)

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: Hot to do High Quality Art :: Mesh Warp / Distort Tool Considerations

On 03/12/2016 at 9:37 AM, Mithferion said:

Using Inkscape I can crop ("clip" as it's called) a raster image using any vector shape

It should be noted that cropping is not the same as clipping. Please see the attached screenshot, where I've cropped/clipped a photo from Pixabay to a blue cloud shape.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.2.471 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.2.153 • Designer for iPad 1.7.2.6 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Thanks for clarifying that point!

HI,

i've noticed that pasting an object/image inside a shape doesn't let me modify the shape, you can only move the object inside.

if you try to modify the shape it distorts the img/object inside, or you have to convert it to curves and you can only select the corners

and move them.

Only the mask can be modified by dragging the shape like.

why? it's much easier the paste inside command shorcut rather than dragging the shape near the image on a layer!  :-)

Thanks
Great software by the way,  (I'm switching from fireworks! Damn, Adobe)

Alberto