You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Symmetric node handle dragging

Hi,

If I have a bezier node somewhere, is there a way to drag the bezier "handles" symmetrically on both sides so that the curves on both sides of a symmetric object match?  A bit like you can scale an object from its defined centre, is there a way I can drag a node handle so that the one on the opposite side is the same length?  

Shift - Cmd doesn't seem to apply there.

Cheers!

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

Hi BatteriesInc,

No, this is not possible currently (drag them simultaneously), however if you press Shift you should be able to stretch/snap one handle to the same length of the other (a small vertical line crossing the middle of both handles will appear to show this).

Not getting this to work. Photo

post-12456-0-72085400-1474651587_thumb.png

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.

Not getting this to work. Photo

Do you mean "I'm not getting this to work in either app. Here is a photo." or "I'm not getting this to work in Affinity Photo. Please see the attached screenshot."? Either way, the node in the northwest corner in your screenshot is displaying two handles because it's selected, but the node in the southwest corner is only displaying one handle because it's adjacent to the selected node. Click on the southwest node to select it and display its other handle, which will also have that small line crossing it at the midpoint.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

… or select the Node Tool, hold down the Shift key, and click + drag one of the handles of the northwest node. At some point (i.e. precisely at the point where the two handles have the same length) these little vertical strokes will show up here as well …  :)

This works the same in Designer & in Photo. When you hold down SHIFT the control handle is constrained to movement along the same direction as the other one for that node. With SHIFT held down it will also snap to the same length when you get near that distance & the two tick marks will appear to indicate that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks all - the "hinting" with the little vertical lines was all I needed :)

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

• 4 years later...