You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.5 - Beta 9)

Odd behavior in svg export

On exporting some text svg format ("for web" preset, AD 1.5b9, OS X 10.9.5), a sub-node is added to the two letters "AB" within the text.

In the attached file, if the text row ends with "HB", no node is inserted, but if it ends with "AB" it insert a span tag:

<text x="0px" y="23.861px" style="font-family:'Arial-BoldMT', 'Arial', sans-serif;font-weight:700;font-size:33.333px;fill:#005596;">
  The Big Company Name HB
</text>

<text x="0px" y="23.861px" style="font-family:'Arial-BoldMT', 'Arial', sans-serif;font-weight:700;font-size:33.333px;fill:#005596;">
  The Big Company Name <tspan x="391.423px 415.495px " y="23.861px 23.861px ">AB</tspan>
</text>

I have tested with the other svg preset with the same results. I have tried to switch the texts between the two occurrences in the AD file or move the "AB" within the text, but the behavior follows the "AB" text. 

In some circumstances, the text in this extra node may appear displaced relative to its text row (too large white space between the words).

Any known reason why "AB" do trigger its own tag?

/Miro

text_export.afdesign

post-2192-0-12229300-1471357453_thumb.png

text_export_HB.svg

text_export_AB.svg

One bug I'm still noticing in this most recent beta is grouping a variety of layers or folders tends to scatter the layers/folders around instead of keeping them in place. 

I just tried this and it seemed fine. The layers were in the same stacking lineup just inside a group.

Are you saying the parent layers get scattered or the elements on each layer lose their positioning? That would not be good.  :unsure:

In the attached file, if the text row ends with "HB", no node is inserted, but if it ends with "AB" it insert a span tag:

It is probably trying to ensure exact text positioning, which suggests the AB has some formatting that changes its width from the SVG default - perhaps some kerning. Checking File > Export > SVG > More > Longer text spans may help. It increases the tolerance for text positioning.

It is probably trying to ensure exact text positioning, which suggests the AB has some formatting that changes its width from the SVG default - perhaps some kerning. Checking File > Export > SVG > More > Longer text spans may help. It increases the tolerance for text positioning.

Thanks for the explanation and workaround. It does resolve the issue.

With further testing I noticed that it was more specifically the letter A in Arial that triggered this extra positioning. For some reason the exporter do include the next following letter. (writing "Apple" would give an extra positioning tag for "Ap"). If I switched the font to Helvetica Neue, then it was the letter "T" that would trigger extra positioning rather than A. Different font-specific kerning info seams to trigger this behavior. Maybe the default export setting is slightly too tight?

Just noticed that AD doesn't import Illustrator objects that are off the artboard. Not sure this is intended, but I ran into this situation the other day when opening a logo created in Illustrator. I did not have the font and needed an outlined version. The outlined version of the logo happened to be off the canvas. I'm not saying this is something that AD needs to do, I just thought I would mention it. I actually had to open the logo in Illustrator and make new versions so I could work with the logo in AD.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.