You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Minor UI hiccup when exporting as PNG

When I export a file as PNG, the filename selection dialog shows the type of file I am saving as "Affinity Files." It turns out that the file really was exported as a PNG after all, but it was a bit disconcerting to think Designer was malfunctioning since it displayed an unexpected file type. (I'm sure I really was in the export dialog and not the ordinary save dialog, and I'm using 1.5.0.4.)

In general, though, great work. I look forward to the release candidate. Even with a few beta bugs to squash, it's a pretty impressive program.

Hi donovanh

As Bhikkhu Pesala has pointed out it does show you the actual extension for the file type you are exporting to, the Affinity Files part does seem a little odd instead of using the file type like most other apps do. I'll get this logged 

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Thanks for the quick replies. But I'm afraid that there may be more to this than the screenshot from Bhikkhu Pesala shows. Perhaps it's operating system dependent? (I'm using Windows 10, including the big update they pushed me a few days ago, so build 10586.)

The screenshot below shows what I see when I click File -> Export, then select PNG from the row of icons and hit the Export button. I don't see the PNG file indication at all, just the Affinity Files.

And in the process of making you this screenshot, I discovered another issue that is a bit more than cosmetic. I saved the screenshot with the Windows snipping tool as a JPG, then opened it in Designer to experiment a little more. I then exported it as a PNG. When I did, AD said the file already existed, even though what actually existed was Capture.JPG, not Capture.PNG. I let it replace the file to see if it actually would, and it did. When I opened the file in InfanView to look at it, InfanView identified it as a PNG file with a JPG extension and offered to rename it. This could be problematic if I wanted to save multiple formats of a file in the same folder.

Capture.png

The screenshot below shows what I see when I click File -> Export, then select PNG from the row of icons and hit the Export button. I don't see the PNG file indication at all, just the Affinity Files.

Capture.png

Here is what I see - I have the show extensions option selected in File Types (Windows 10 option)

post-28493-0-38674500-1467726786_thumb.png

Also, I tried to save 'over' a png as a jpg but have one of each filetype in the folder. I wonder if it has anything to do with the update from Windows - I'm on the regular version - I've not applied to have the latest beta versions.

Windows 11 Pro 64bit ¤ AMD Threadripper 3990x ¤ Nvidia RTX 3090 ¤ 256GB DDR4 Ram ¤ ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha

• Staff

I think Ken's hit the nail on the head here. The file type is not displayed when Windows is set to Hide File Extenstions. Therefore I think the Save as Type should actually list the file type that is being exported to as opposed to just 'Affinity Files'.

Good catch. I changed that setting, and I now see what you see. Even more helpfully, with the setting change AD now realizes that Capture.JPG and Capture.PNG are not the same file, so there are no more illogical file replacements.

Hiding extensions by default for known file types has to rank as one of the daftest decisions Microsoft ever made!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.