You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP Beta 2.5 display issues

Hovering over a document with the Brush Tool selected results in strange display issues (darkening) in sections when simply moving the mouse over different areas. It doesn't happen with other tools. See video.

Cheers, Timo

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

Hi @DarkClown,

The Affinity apps use the display technology (MipMaps) to achieve good performance.

I think (but could be wrong) what you're seeing is 'screen redraw', rather than the area getting darker. It looks as though the section beneath the brush is momentarily blurring before the full-resolution image is redrawn beneath the brush position as you move the brush around the screen...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Does this happen for you in 2.4.2, too, @DarkClown? If so, it's not a beta-related issue. If not, are your performance settings the same for both 2.4.2 and 2.5.0 beta?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Hi @DarkClown,

The Affinity apps use the display technology (MipMaps) to achieve good performance.

I think (but could be wrong) what you're seeing is 'screen redraw', rather than the area getting darker. It looks as though the section beneath the brush is momentarily blurring before the full-resolution image is redrawn beneath the brush position as you move the brush around the screen...

I wasn't trying to properly analyse the effect - so you might be right. Still, if it's blurring before the the final image is redrawn, the redraw should happen at one point in time. And certainly this only happens in the beta - and only with the brush tool. So I would assume if it's a technology issue it should happen with all tools?!

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Does this happen for you in 2.4.2, too, @DarkClown? If so, it's not a beta-related issue. If not, are your performance settings the same for both 2.4.2 and 2.5.0 beta?

OK, I did some more indepth investigation on this.

1) it only seems to be visible with certain "Moiree" (in this case the jacket garment)

2) Using the same picture in the same area ist does happen with 2.4.1 as well.

3) Performance settings are the same in both versions

4) And it seems to be a redraw issue. Hovering on the same spot for a little longer makes this effect disappear again

Therefor I assume it's not an Beta issue - I just got aware of this under the given "unlucky" circumstances ...

@Chris B The setting was on "Automatic (Best)" - but changing retina quality to "High Quality" solves the problem.
Frankly I assumed that "Automatic (Best)" equals "High Quality" .... apparently I was wrong ;-)

• Staff
57 minutes ago, DarkClown said:

I assumed that "Automatic (Best)" equals "High Quality"

I think "(Best)" is being used here as the best balance between speed and quality (so "best performance"), although I can see that you might well assume (Best) meant "Best Quality"

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon