You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Just curious. When I draw a line/circle etc and use artistic text to create text on a path in either AP and AD the line disappears after I create the text on a path. For me when I do this in AP the line remains. I can workaround by setting the line size to none.  Is this how its supposed to work in AP, or is it my installation, or a bug?
Cheers John

AMD Ryzen 7 5800 X. Nvidia GeForce RTX3060 64Gb Ram
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3447) Home
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for iPad Pro 10.5  • iPad OS 17.3.1

6 minutes ago, pioneer said:

Just curious. When I draw a line/circle etc and use artistic text to create text on a path in either AP and AD the line disappears after I create the text on a path. For me when I do this in AP the line remains. I can workaround by setting the line size to none.  Is this how its supposed to work in AP, or is it my installation, or a bug?
Cheers John

No bug. It is how the three applications work. In all three applications the path is converted to / considered to be a Text Frame. And as such the Text Frame Panel can be used to set the colour and width of the path. Publisher is the only application that has the Text Frame panel. We can open a Designer or Photo document in Publisher and then use the Text Frame panel to set the colour of the stroke (and/or fill) of the path.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thank you @Old Bruce for the explanation, its good to know that all is Ok.  Cheers John

Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3447) Home

As Bruce stated, this is the way it's supposed to work but it isn't ideal.

• When you convert a path to Path Text in Publisher, the Path Text object inherits the path's fill and stroke which can be changed via the Text Frame panel.
  • When you convert a path to Path Text in Designer or Photo, the Path Text object does not inherit the path's fill and stroke and they are lost. There is no way to change them in Designer or Photo. But you can edit them in Publisher.

IMO, it would be better to fix the root issue and allow users to set fill and stroke for text frames and objects in Designer and Photo. But if this won't be done, then I think paths converted to Path Text should inherit the path's fill and stroke. If the user didn't want fill or stroke they could set them to none before conversion but it's frustrating to get it just the way you want it and then have it lost when you choose convert.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.5, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

1 hour ago, pioneer said:

When I draw a line/circle etc and use artistic text to create text on a path in either AP and AD the line disappears after I create the text on a path. For me when I do this in AP the line remains.

By the way: you seem to be using AP as the abbreviation for two applications (Photo, and Publisher). That is confusing :)

If one must abbreviate, APub and APu are the terms accepted by the forums (as shown by the underlining when used, and the Tooltip explanations for them).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

15 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

By the way: you seem to be using AP as the abbreviation for two applications (Photo, and Publisher). That is confusing :)

If one must abbreviate, APub and APu are the terms accepted by the forums (as shown by the underlining when used, and the Tooltip explanations for them).

@walt.farrellFor which I apologise for. Its obviously down to my age I am afraid. Thank you for the advice.  Cheers John

15 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Just to add to what Walt has said, you can also use APh as the abbreviation for Affinity Photo. This makes it instantly clear to the reader that you’re not referring to Affinity Publisher.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

23 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Apu also works for Affinity Publisher (not to be confused with the Simpson's character).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

17 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Apu also works for Affinity Publisher (not to be confused with the Simpson's character).

It's not underlined, and doesn't get a Tooltip like APu does.

Edit: Ah, now that you removed the red color, it does work in your edited post :)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

33 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Edit: Ah, now that you removed the red color, it does work in your edited post :)

Yeah, I was going to mention that too but you beat me to it. Kinda weird that APu gets the tooltip but Apu does not....

What the heck? Now, APu is not underlines in my reply but is in what I quoted & recolored from you above.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

Yeah, I was going to mention that too but you beat me to it. Kinda weird that APu gets the tooltip but Apu does not....

When you color one of the letters, there's no underline or tooltip. I think you can Edit a color in after posting, but if you put the color in before it is recognized and gets the underline it won't be added. So, in your post I just quoted, neither has the underline or tooltip.

-- Walt
PC: