You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

We are currently testing affinity tools, in order to implemente instead of the current ones we using.
But we imidialty we found a problem im unable to solve. 

When i open the project in InDesign, the General Sans and General Sans Variant, opens as the same. 
And im using several variants of the font.
When i open in Affinity Publisher it opens the IDML file but cant link the fonts. 
I send images how it shows in ID and Affinity. 

Affinity Pubisher.png

Indesign.png

Welcome to the forums @Miguel Teixeira

The Affinity applications can’t handle variable fonts.

It has been requested many times but we users have no idea whether it will happen, and Serif have never given any timescales about when it might happen, if it will.

You can search the forums for variable font to see how many posts there have been about it.

• Staff
10 minutes ago, GarryP said:

It has been requested many times but we users have no idea whether it will happen, and Serif have never given any timescales about when it might happen, if it will.

Just FYI, as part of the Affinity and Canva Pledge, we have confirmed the following:

We’re looking forward to accelerating the rollout of highly requested features such as variable font support, blend and width tools, auto object selection, multi-page spreads, ePub export and much more.

These additions will further cement Affinity as the best advanced design suite on the market and will be released over the coming year as free updates to V2

As you've mentioned this is not a definitive timescale, but rest assured we're working to bring this feature to Affinity V2, ASAP :)

13 minutes ago, Dan C said:

These additions will further cement Affinity as the best advanced design suite on the market

This is promise-ware in its purest form. "Further cement" -- the first thing we should see is getting rid of marketing clowns that use these kinds of ballooned phrases that have no ground in reality. But I guess there is plenty left where that came from.

2 minutes ago, Miguel Teixeira said:

Is there a workaround i can use? 

About all you can do, if you want to use the Affinity applications, is uninstall the General Sans Variable fonts, and just use General Sans.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, Miguel Teixeira said:

Is there a workaround i can use? 

You can look for the Static versions of the Variable fonts and install those instead of (meaning remove the Variables from your computer's fonts).

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Just now, Old Bruce said:

You can look for the Static versions of the Variable fonts and install those instead of (meaning remove the Variables from your computer's fonts).

From the font list in the first post, both the Static and Variable versions seem to be installed already. So all that should be needed is removing the Variable ones, and making sure that the Static fonts are being used.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The variable fonts appear to have a different family name - which is normally the case with most commercial fonts - so they can be installed at the same time as the static fonts. No name conflicts expected.

Google Fonts makes the variable and static family names the same (so they are interchangeable) which can lead to name conflicts if they are both installed at the same time.

So in this case he should be OK with both VF and statics installed.