You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Anyone else seeing an increase in crashes in Publisher?

Could you upload a crash report please?

Also since I think you're on Mac and have a new computer (from a previous post), have you turned off Metal? There are Metal issues with Publisher on M1 series chips. If you haven't turned it off: Go to Affinity Publisher > Settings, click Performance, and deselect Hardware Acceleration. Then set Display to OpenGL. Close Settings and restart Publisher. Let us know if the crashes continue after doing this.

Good luck.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

I'm not an export on reading crash reports but those don't look Metal related so I don't know what this is.

Since it's happening so frequently you might try to record your screen and try to crash it within a short amount of time, if it doesn't crash, stop the recording and try again, until you've recorded a crash. Then upload the recording and the related crash report together because that might be helpful.

Good luck.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

I turned off hardware acceleration. I seem to recall checking that on my old computer, but I actually re-installed on my new one, so it probably defaulted to be back on. If it's buggy maybe they should turn it off by default.

• Staff

Thanks, sorry it's not going well for you so far

We will address these next week 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Here's a video of the 8th crash.

https://share.zight.com/WnuXg0yD

I was doing the exact same thing as the 6th and 7th. Crash log attached. Oddly, I'm not sure why I needed to do what I was doing. The text was overflowed, but I have no idea why. Last time I saw that page it looked fine. So I started deleting empty lines until my text showed up at the bottom of the page, and then it crashes. The first 5 crashes were not the exact same action, but happened in a fairly short period of time.

Affinity Publisher 2 Beta-2024-03-28-194231.ips

The crashes brought me here.

Right after updating my Publisher, I can no l longer open my files as it crash seconds after opening. What to do now. Is there even a option to revert to the previous version?

2 hours ago, bebephase said:

The crashes brought me here.

Right after updating my Publisher, I can no l longer open my files as it crash seconds after opening. What to do now. Is there even a option to revert to the previous version?

Hi @bebephase and welcome to the forums. Did you install the 2.4.2 beta or the 2.4.1 update? It sounds like you installed 2.4.1 and this part of the forum is for the beta. If you're having an issue with 2.4.1 you should post it in this part of the forum:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/5-affinity-on-desktop-questions-macos-and-windows/

Cheers

• Staff
On 3/28/2024 at 11:47 PM, philipt18 said:

Here's a video of the 8th crash.

https://share.zight.com/WnuXg0yD

I was doing the exact same thing as the 6th and 7th. Crash log attached. Oddly, I'm not sure why I needed to do what I was doing. The text was overflowed, but I have no idea why. Last time I saw that page it looked fine. So I started deleting empty lines until my text showed up at the bottom of the page, and then it crashes. The first 5 crashes were not the exact same action, but happened in a fairly short period of time.

Affinity Publisher 2 Beta-2024-03-28-194231.ips 70.47 kB · 11 downloads

Hi philipt18,

Unfortunately, this link isn't working for me - are you able to resend it, and if possible with a link to the file you're using, please? Is it the same file you're having crashes with or has it happened with several unrelated ones?

Thanks!

22 minutes ago, Sean P said:

this link isn't working for me

Me too neither!

22 minutes ago, Sean P said:

are you able to resend it

Better yet, attach it directly to a forum post instead of linking to a third-party site.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Unfortunately, there seems to have been a problem uploading the video, and I can't find it locally. I only posted the link because I was short on time, but now it seems the video file is missing. Sorry. Hopefully the crash logs are clear enough.

• Staff

Hi Philipt18

I've passed the crash logs on to development who have said that the crashing is coming from Preflight checks relating to a broken or unexpected pinned object glyph within the file (as @Pauls suggested above). These will be specific to the document you are using, so unfortunately without that, we are unlikely to be able to reproduce the crashes you're seeing. If you could send us the document you're using to our internal Dropbox account then we can try to investigate more.

Also if you're able to find or remake the video demonstrating the crash that would also be very helpful. In the meantime can you try disabling Preflight and see if that stops the document you're using from crashing, please?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/eIZQSr7E9DE5KzZ0vRmb