You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

using bitmap fill locks objects fill color

AD 2.4.2301 / Win10
When I used a bitmap fill on an object with solid color fill and then switch back to "fill: none" to get rid of the bitmap fill, the objects fill color can't be set to "none" (transparent) but will switch to the original fill color despite stating it's not filled at all according to the fill icons.
However, the color itself can be changed, but as soon as I turn the opacity down, the original color creeps in.

AD-bitmapFillBug1.png

AD-bitmapFillBug2.png

AD-bitmapFillBug3.png

Hi @maxen,

I've not been able to replicate this on macOS so I'm unsure if this is a Windows-specific issue...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Hello, @maxen,

I have to admit that I don't understand what you've done. Could you show a video showing the different stages?

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

@maxen You have posted this in a section of the forums related to the beta software only.

If you are still using the V2.4 beta software (there is no V2.4.2301 as that’s not a valid Affinity software version number) then you should look at upgrading the commercial software (already at V2.4.1) as the older beta software will expire soon.

If you are not using the beta software then this should have been posted in the relevant non-beta section of the forums.

A moderator can move this thread for you (if necessary) when you tell us which you are using.

@GarryP:Yes, it's the beta.
@Pyanepsion: The stages are from the bottom to the top layers. Create a curve, fill it solid. Then apply a bitmap fill. If you then remove the bitmap fill by switching the fill mode to "none" , the curve retains it's fill from before the bitmap fill. This fill is then locked and can't be removed. Nevertheless you can change the color.

Hi @maxen,

As soon as I apply the bitmap fill the solid red fill is removed from the original shape so I'm surious as to how you are maintaining the red fill when applying the bitmap fill in the first place, could you elaborate further...

You also show the Symbols panel in your screenshots which contain the 'element' used for your bitmap fill, are the symbols relevant in terms of how you've applied the bitmap fill? Usually you would select a bitmap fill directly from the Finder...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Well, I really did nothing special. Just added the bitmap fill to an already filled curve...
I created the pattern myself in AD and saved them as assets. But the same thing happens when I saved the pattern as .png and reloaded it as asset to use for the bitmap fill.

This is what I see... The only thing that isn't updating when the bitmap fill is removed is the icon in the Layers panel but the curve itself doesn't maintain the red fill (which I would expect) when the bitmap fill is initially applied and nor does it reappear after the bitmap fill is removed...

Am I doing anything differently to you here?

Which tool is active when you adjust the colors? 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• Staff

I suspect the Bitmap Fill would have created a second 'Fill' in the Appearance Panel, leaving the original colour present. You can delete the empty fill from the Appearance Panel which will select the red fill allowing you to edit it. Alternatively you can click the red fill in the appearance panel yourself to select and it it (the white dot should be present next to it letting you know its the actively selected fill).
image.png

I used the vector flood fill tool instead of the gradient tool as hangman did.
But Sean is absolutely right: In the appearance panel is an additional fill listet - delete it and booom - everythings fine!
Thanks for your on point answer - your support is superb as always.

I guess I have learn about the appearance panel now... :D

• Staff
1 hour ago, maxen said:

I used the vector flood fill tool instead of the gradient tool as hangman did.
But Sean is absolutely right: In the appearance panel is an additional fill listet - delete it and booom - everythings fine!
Thanks for your on point answer - your support is superb as always.

I guess I have learn about the appearance panel now... :D

You're more than welcome!

If you're using the Vector Flood Fill Tool then it is definitely worth learning about the Appearance Panel, as depending on your VFF options, you can end up with multiple fills on an object, so that certainly sounds like what happened here.