You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Publisher 2.4] Image pinning doesn't follow text frame vertical position

Hi,

I am very new to Affinity Publisher, so I may have missed something, but there seems to be a bug with image pinning in text frames in the current version (v2.4). When pinning an image into a text frame, it is always applied as if the text frame had a vertical position set to "Top align". When the vertical position is changed (to "Bottom Align" for example), the pinned image don't follow the lines they are supposed to be attached to.

I tried to show the bug in the attached screenshots.

Best regards,

[Windows 11. Affinity Publisher 2.4. Hardware acceleration: ON and OFF.]

Capture d'écran 2024-03-17 205441.png

Capture d'écran 2024-03-17 205550.png

@nicolas7 welcome in the forum.

This is not a issue that's specific for 2.4.
It's also present in previous versions (the video below is for version 2.3.1)

I fully agree with you that pinned objects should honor the vertical position of the text in the text frame, adjust their position accordingly and follow the text if you change this setting to "Align Bottom" but also "Center Vertical".

2.3.1 video↓

Hi @nicolas7 and welcome to the forums,

This is working as expected in v2.4.0 on macOS so unsure if there is a Windows specific issue...

The Horizontal alignment setting appears to be the wrong way around on Windows... On Mac, with the Horizontal Alignment set to the Inside Left of the Character with a 0 mm offset, this is what I see, which looks correct...

InsideLeft.thumb.png.e24643d6e543eada62a82bae3fbef5cb.png

For the pinned object to be set to the left of the pin, I have to set the horizontal alignment to the Outside Left of the Character...

OutsideLeft.thumb.png.c5beca72d753f39968deb0b4a621f187.png

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff

I've had a member of our QA team looking into this with me and we are both struggling to replicate this I'm afraid. If possible could you provide a copy of the file in question so I can look into this further with you?

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi @Callum,

Just to confirm you're referring to the OP's file here rather than my post?

Are you able to confirm whether the 'Inside Left' and 'Outside Left' Horizontal Alignment settings for Pinned objects work the opposite way round on Windows and Mac or whether I'm just missing something here...

To me it appears to be correct on Mac but incorrect on Windows...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

57 minutes ago, Callum said:

From what I can see these options seem to be working correctly.

Hi @Callum,

If you look at the OP's screenshot and the position of the pin, they have Inside Left of Character with an offset of 0 mm... If I replicate that setting on Mac, the pinned object appears to the right of the Pin (as shown in the screengrabs above)...

I can't find any way to replicate the OP's settings to give the same result but could equally be missing something... I was wondering whether the options are reversed on Windows and Mac...

Edit: Now I know the reason for the difference is because @nicolas7 was using a text wrap so all is good again...

Posted (edited)

Hi,

Here is an example of a new document with a pinned image inside a text frame, reproducing the issue described in the first post of this thread. The image pinning is set to float, anchored horizontally to a character and vertically to a line. The image also has a text-wrapping option with a 5mm right-margin.

EDIT : the text-wrapping option seems to trigger the bug here. Without it, the image follows the text. Sorry @Hangman for the confusion with the horizontal position, I forgot I added this setting.

Best regards,

Sans titre.afpub

Edited by nicolas7

Hi @nicolas7,

Thanks for your file...

The issue is indeed the Text Wrap... Instead of using a Text Wrap, use a First Line Indent instead and you should be good to go...