You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lost Taskbar icons on start up today 2-29-24

I updated the V2 all three Affinity apps yesterday afternoon. All was fine until I started the computer this morning and only the 3 Affinity app icons were on the taskbar at the bottom.

I used the .exe updates for the software.

I love the software but I'm not real savvy on computer so if the info I have on this document is not enough my husband is a computer programmer but at work so he can help later.

Processor    AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor                 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB
Device ID    4DD0B91E-B632-4F94-B181-ED9BC6A87047
Product ID    00325-80000-00000-AAOEM
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch    Pen support

Edition    Windows 10 Home
Version    22H2
Installed on    ‎9/‎11/‎2020
OS build    19045.4046
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

I added the Firebox icon to get to the forums. Carol LIttle

image.png.500a2c99074fc63c4de7b40d9461d46b.png

I would say, this is a typical Windows issue. You can try this:

- open the Windows Task-Manager (CTRL+DEL) under Processes search for the Windows-Explorer and click on Restart Task

- or clear the Windows Icon-cache and restart your computer
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-rebuild-icon-cache-clear-thumbnail-cache-in/1e45604c-c8e2-4d6b-9e32-77f07e07bc17

Regards,
Otto

Affinity Suite v2.4 - Windows 11 Pro

• Staff

Thanks for your report @Sunshine Kid!

As above, this is an issue our team are aware can occur when updating the EXE versions of Affinity V2.

This is logged with our developers and I will be sure to 'bump' this with them now, to bring it to their attention once again and hopefully be resolved in a future update.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Het is onvoorstelbaar dat je een update krijg, zonder oplossing van de bekende problemen. Geef de update een week later met de opgeloste bekende problemen.

Misschien lukt de volgende keer.

• Staff

Apologies - the 'MSIX-41' known issue I've referred to above is specifically regarding the EXE icons pinned to the Windows taskbar, becoming a 'blank page' icon after applying the update, and the apps then require re-pinning to the Taskbar, in order to resolve this.

However in re-reading your initial post @Sunshine Kid, it sounds as though on your taskbar that all other pinned apps were removed, and only the Affinity apps remained after the update.

This isn't something that our team can replicate internally - I personally use all 3 Affinity apps as EXE on Windows 10, with multiple other apps 'pinned' to my taskbar (Windows Explorer, Chrome, Outlook, Slack, OBS) and having updated/uninstalled & reinstalled the Affinity V2 EXE apps more times than I can count, I've never had any other apps be removed from the taskbar during this process.

Can you please right-click your Windows Taskbar and select Taskbar Settings, then provide screenshots showing your settings here for me? Specifically the 'Taskbar' and 'Multiple Displays' section as I believe you might be running dual monitors.

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff
23 minutes ago, wim said:

Het is onvoorstelbaar dat je een update krijg, zonder oplossing van de bekende problemen. Geef de update een week later met de opgeloste bekende problemen.

Bijna elke computer-app wordt uitgebracht/geüpdatet met bekende problemen, dit is eenvoudigweg een onderdeel van het programmeren van applicaties.
Geen enkele app waarvan ik persoonlijk op de hoogte ben, is 100% 'vrij' van bugs, en zal dat ook nooit zijn.
We streven ernaar om in elke update zoveel mogelijk problemen op te lossen, verdeeld over 3 apps op 3 verschillende besturingssystemen.

Please note -

Many thanks!

Volgens mij is een bekend probleem een oude bug. Dit heeft niets te maken met een nieuwe bug.

We duimen maar dat het snel is oplost.

Fijne dag en een fijn weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

I also had the desktop icon disappear after a windows 11 update.  It was a standard Affinity.EXE install 2.4.0.  The was there, now it's a blank page (pictured).  I can reset it if I can get the vector to the program icon.  ☺️

NoIcon.jpg

• Staff

Thanks for letting us know @Tangot2 & I'm sorry to hear this!

I can confirm that our team are aware of an issue with the EXE versions of Affinity V2 essentially uninstalling and reinstalling during update - which causes the desktop shortcut or 'pinned' taskbar icon to become a page icon and no longer be usable, requiring a new shortcut or pin to be created by the user.

This is logged with our development team and we're hoping to have this resolved in a future update. I'll be sure to 'bump' this with our team not to bring it to their attention once again.

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

On 3/1/2024 at 6:28 AM, Dan C said:

Apologies - the 'MSIX-41' known issue I've referred to above is specifically regarding the EXE icons pinned to the Windows taskbar, becoming a 'blank page' icon after applying the update, and the apps then require re-pinning to the Taskbar, in order to resolve this.

However in re-reading your initial post @Sunshine Kid, it sounds as though on your taskbar that all other pinned apps were removed, and only the Affinity apps remained after the update.

This isn't something that our team can replicate internally - I personally use all 3 Affinity apps as EXE on Windows 10, with multiple other apps 'pinned' to my taskbar (Windows Explorer, Chrome, Outlook, Slack, OBS) and having updated/uninstalled & reinstalled the Affinity V2 EXE apps more times than I can count, I've never had any other apps be removed from the taskbar during this process.

Can you please right-click your Windows Taskbar and select Taskbar Settings, then provide screenshots showing your settings here for me? Specifically the 'Taskbar' and 'Multiple Displays' section as I believe you might be running dual monitors.

Many thanks in advance!

On 3/1/2024 at 6:28 AM, Dan C said:

Many thanks in advance!

Sorry I've been busy. Here is the screen shots and yes I do have more than one monitor, plus a Wacom. Thanks C

Screenshot 03-21-2024 17.00.26.png

Screenshot 03-21-2024 17.00.35.png

15 minutes ago, Sunshine Kid said:

I do have more than one monitor, plus a Wacom

What Wacom device do you have?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)