You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Blend Tool? Is there a specific reason?

Hi Forum, is there a particular reason why the Blend tool has not been added yet to AD? Is it a very complex tool to create? From a designing point of view it's very very helpful and probably one of the best advantages AI has so far over AD, people have been requesting it for almost 10 years, so what's the reason behind not having it implemented. I'm just curious to know how adding the Blend tool is not considered profitable for Affinity 

Welcome to the forum @Helve

Generally Serif do not share software roadmaps. There are many things that people want, true vector brushes, better management of brushes, assets and symbols, variable font and full colorfont support, yours is in a long list of features requested.

Unfortunately, it happens when it happens and that's all that can be said, they spend a lot of time on fixes to make sure the apps are stable and compatible with the ever changing OS'es and hardware, it will happen but when is a moot point.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 minute ago, firstdefence said:

Generally Serif do not share software roadmaps.

They used to, but after several updates with no sign of a Blend Tool, a Knife Tool, or several other features promised for version 1, they hid it from public view. Version 2 has a Knife Tool, so maybe a Blend Tool isn’t far away (he says hopefully).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

18 minutes ago, Alfred said:

They used to, but after several updates with no sign of a Blend Tool, a Knife Tool, or several other features promised for version 1, they hid it from public view. Version 2 has a Knife Tool, so maybe a Blend Tool isn’t far away (he says hopefully).

It's a feature I've seldom used in any of the apps I've used so, it's not something I miss. Better organisational capabilities for brushes, assets and symbols would be a very welcome upgrade.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 minute ago, firstdefence said:

It's a feature I've seldom used in any of the apps I've used so, it's not something I miss. Better organisational capabilities for brushes, assets and symbols would be a very welcome upgrade.

It’s not a feature I’ve ever used much, but it’s fun to play with!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Here is my vote for the Blend tool!

When I used AI for years, I used it often. In a similar Blend tool post here on the forum, someone mentioned one could do blending of shapes in CorelDraw, which I purchased in 2018 for hundreds of dollars and never really used. After reading the other Blend tool post, I gave it a whirl in CorelDraw. It is no where near as good as AI was in this regard, but I can make the odd design line blending that adds a nice touch to a flyer. I will have to try with the Mesh tool in AD to see how that goes, until we get an official AD Blend tool.

Screen-0011.jpg

7 hours ago, Helve said:

Hi Forum, is there a particular reason why the Blend tool has not been added yet to AD? Is it a very complex tool to create? From a designing point of view it's very very helpful and probably one of the best advantages AI has so far over AD, people have been requesting it for almost 10 years, so what's the reason behind not having it implemented. I'm just curious to know how adding the Blend tool is not considered profitable for Affinity 

You could use Vectorstyler to accomplish the blend tool and many other tools still missing from Affinity designer. Owning both programs covers most needs and they work well transferring vectors between them. 

One more vote for the blend tool - again!
It would open so many wonderful creative possibilities. Unfortunately, there is no workaround for everything. Please enable blending paths shapes and colors - and combine these to create a true vector brush 😉.

On 2/29/2024 at 8:47 AM, DonC123 said:

Here is my vote for the Blend tool!

4 hours ago, JariH said:

One more vote for the blend tool - again!

As has been mentioned quite a few times in various topics like this one, 'voting' here in the questions forum is unlikely to be seen by the developers. Instead, please go to the Feedback & Suggestions forum, read the info there about searching before posting & proceed accordingly.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7