You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Change the update process

I'm looking forward to updates. But this blocking modal is just annoying. Instead of this dialog you should simply display a notification. With the option to download the update. Which is then installed when you close the application. The notification should be non-blocking. Show it parallel. The opened document should be loaded. The notification could be a message bubble or just an icon with a counter or red dot. Similar like in Visual Studio Code.

My opinion: I'm fine with it as it works now. 

If it helps, you can always decline the update when it's offered, then download the update manually from the website and install it at a more convenient time.

However, the update process works differently:

1. on Windows than on macOS, and

2. between the applications installed from the Affinity Store than from ones installed from the Mac Store or the Windows Store,  and

3. on Windows, differently if you installed the MSIX version rather than the EXE version.

So it might be nice to know which you're using. From your description I might guess Windows, and Affinity Store, and MSIX.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yes, I'm on Windows (11) and installed with the setup file. It's annoying when the update dialog is displayed on front of me which blocks the whole program. For example, I start the program with a file to edit. But instead of loading the file the dialog is nagging. I like updates. But in this situation I want the file load and not the modal. To be honest it's not a matter of opinion, it's actually bad UX. A non-blocking notification would be better if an update is not mandatory. You could look at VS Code for inspiration. You get an notification and the update is installed after closing the app. Option for auto download and install or manual.

That is not the point. I know that I can decline the update dialog. But it's still an additional step and annoying. It's like using alert window in websites. A bad user experience. Not the worst problem ever. But something that can be improved or avoided. I see no reason to stick with current behavior and block any improvement.

For the implementation, the idea: Add a new button next to the account button (top right) with a notification or update icon. Only display it if an update is available or change the icon or a red dot for notification to indicate it. Easy.

8 minutes ago, Domske said:

Add a new button next to the account button (top right) with a notification or update icon

One doesn't need to be connected or even logged in here and I am for one not, so I would never see your suggested notification.

5 minutes ago, Return said:

One doesn't need to be connected or even logged in here and I am for one not, so I would never see your suggested notification.

I think the suggestion was a notification icon next to the Account icon in the application Toolbar (icon on the right side of the Toolbar, by default), not here on the website. 

@Domske: it's an interesting idea, and you're not the first to have asked for something different/better. Thanks for the discussion.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

11 minutes ago, Return said:

==

Not really. A notification in background is not the same as a dialog. Maybe you misunderstood me. A dialog/modal is a window that is displayed at the top to prompt the user to take action. A notification is just a message or indicator in the background. For example a bubble which disappears after seconds or only shows an icon/button with a red dot (with or without a number of notifications inside). The user can decide when to take action. This solution does not bother the user. As long as it is not implemented in a disruptive manner. For example, covers important UI and doesn't disappear after certain duration. I could draw something or post references to frontend frameworks to demo what I mean.

Just a quick and dirty sketch:

demo.png.3fb691678f5c778efa4ae5e9c886fe8f.png

This can be used for other notifications too. Or use it only for update. I'm sure Serif find a nice solution.
Even if you show a small non-blocking bubble message below, it would be better as the current solution.
Or flash the icon to attract attention. Let the user know, hey here is an update. But don't annoy the user.

2 minutes ago, Return said:

No I'm not logged in so no notifications for me here.

There's no requirement for being logged-in with what's been proposed. You're already being notified of the update; the proposal just changes how it's done.

-- Walt
PC:

Also one still has to execute an action to find out the updates.
Modal>click ok>done or download>install
or
Toast appears>click notification bell>find out what>click to execute install or click away to not execute.
It doesn't bother me the way it is because I tend to not use the update way through the programs, I update from the site directly after the posting on the forum.

TL;DR:
- Add update notification button on the toolbar which opens the current update dialog when clicked.
- Instead of showing the dialog, make it visible on the new button. Done.

Don't get confused with the login button. It has nothing to do with that. I just noticed that for a good position new button as an example. ^^

1. Update available -> Show update notification button or change its appearance. Don't show the modal.
2. Click on the button -> Show the update modal as it currently is.

No further logic required. No braking changed. A sweet little implementation. Honestly, I would do it if I had access to the source code. :)

Anyway, just a suggestion. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

• 1 month later...

Any option to disable the auto update check on launch? So that user can only check update over menu strip Help > Check for Update?

Otherwise my idea for a workaround: Block the program in the firewall. Because the update modal is the worst UX ever. Blocking and asking every launch (not day). Another suggestion: Update on program close. Not when the user wants to use this program.

On 2/29/2024 at 9:32 PM, Domske said:

A non-blocking notification would be better if an update is not mandatory.

This is the golden standard in UI/UX nowadays.
New button next to the account button (in the upper right corner) with a notification or update icon is actually a very good idea that fulfills high UI/UX standards.

On 2/29/2024 at 9:47 PM, Domske said:

It's like using alert window in websites. A bad user experience. Not the worst problem ever. But something that can be improved or avoided. I see no reason to stick with current behavior and block any improvement.

Exactly. I have nothing more to add here. 100% agree with you @Domske👍

2 hours ago, Domske said:

Any option to disable the auto update check on launch?

This has been asked/requested many times for a long time. Unfortunately, this has not yet been implemented.
I don't know the specific reason why, because it's child's play for a dev. I have my guesses, but I won't speculate here.

2 hours ago, Domske said:

Otherwise my idea for a workaround: Block the program in the firewall.

Better not. This is a poor solution and may cause problems with "Studio link" and communication/synchronization between programs as Affinity programs require to be able to use the local network for theese features to be working. 

I would use the "No update check" registry key in windows to turn off the update check.

Here is also another solution proposed by some user (didn't tested it by my self)↓
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/179397-preferences-to-disable-automatic-update-checks/&do=findComment&comment=1195549

I would like an option in Windows and Mac for an Affinity Software Manager utility that could update all the required and installed Affinity programs to the latest version. This could work in the background while online and ensure that the latest updates are available on the user's machine when needed for installation.

On 2/29/2024 at 4:21 PM, Domske said:

This can be used for other notifications too.

This is 100% extraneous and would be foolish to waste toolbar space on.

Both supported platforms have integrated notification systems at the OS level.  It would be particularly dumb to reinvent the wheel on this.

If Serif did want to switch to using a notification-based update mechanism, they should use the notification system already provided by the underlying OS, which can then behave like every other app which uses the OS-provided notification system.

35 minutes ago, Archangel said:

an Affinity Software Manager utility that could update all the required and installed Affinity programs

This is already available on both platforms.  On the Mac it is called the App Store.  On Windows it is called the Microsoft Store.  It even provides consistent behavior for software across multiple vendors - including Serif.

@bbrother Thanks. Interessing hint. I tried the reg key and it works. But this also disallows manually check for update. The menu entry (Help > Check for Update) is also disabled. ^^

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Serif\Affinity\Designer\2]
"No Update Check"=dword:00000001

@fde101 OS or custom notification system does not really matter, if it works. The OS notification solution for each OS may cause more effort for implementation and maintenance. And the toolbar has enough space for another button next to the account button. Relax. Btw. it only appears when installed via setup on Windows. Not sure how it works on Mac installed from App Store. Maybe there is no modal. Only the notification inside the app store. Anyway...

It must not be a notification system. I'm fine with an update button which appears in the toolbar when update is available. Instead of the blocking modal. A click on this button shows the current modal. Implementation estimation ca. 15 minutes. This is the least complicated way. Then the program is ready when the user wants to use it.

I just updated Affinity Designer. Two times in row. From 2.4.0 to 2.4.1 and then asked again to update from 2.4.1 to 2.4.2. xD Why not From 2.4.0 to 2.4.2? Omg. Serif please improve the update process. Do not block the user, only inform about update. The user can decide to update at any time. Then download and update after user closes the app. The user must not wait and can start into the app. I'm not sure what you want when starting a program. I usually prefer working with it.

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

This is 100% extraneous and would be foolish to waste toolbar space on.

Both supported platforms have integrated notification systems at the OS level.  It would be particularly dumb to reinvent the wheel on this.

If Serif did want to switch to using a notification-based update mechanism, they should use the notification system already provided by the underlying OS, which can then behave like every other app which uses the OS-provided notification system.

This is already available on both platforms.  On the Mac it is called the App Store.  On Windows it is called the Microsoft Store.  It even provides consistent behavior for software across multiple vendors - including Serif.

But not if you purchased your programs directly from Serif.

7 hours ago, Archangel said:

I would like an option in Windows and Mac for an Affinity Software Manager utility that could update all the required and installed Affinity programs to the latest version. This could work in the background while online and ensure that the latest updates are available on the user's machine when needed for installation.

Say what?  Affinity Software Manager utility👎🤬☣️☠️

Hell no. We don't need crap like "Creative Cloud Desktop" from a company whose name starts with the letter [A].
Auto start that won't turn off, running in the background, doing God knows what. There's no way in hell I'll accept this.

5 hours ago, Domske said:

I'm fine with an update button which appears in the toolbar when update is available. Instead of the blocking modal.

I could live with this, provided that the appearance of this button is subtle and does not hit my eyes with a bold color.
@Domske I liked your dirty sketch👍. A simple bell icon with a colored small circle as an indication whether there is any info or not.
However, I would still like to have control over the entire process and be able to completely disable checking for updates and remove this button from the toolbar.

6 hours ago, Domske said:

I just updated Affinity Designer. Two times in row. From 2.4.0 to 2.4.1 and then asked again to update from 2.4.1 to 2.4.2. xD Why not From 2.4.0 to 2.4.2? Omg. Serif please improve the update process. Do not block the user, only inform about update. The user can decide to update at any time. Then download and update after user closes the app. The user must not wait and can start into the app. I'm not sure what you want when starting a program. I usually prefer working with it.

Exactly. Nothing more nothing less.
Thank you for drawing attention to this👍

12 hours ago, Domske said:

Any option to disable the auto update check on launch? So that user can only check update over menu strip Help > Check for Update?

There should be! Serif’s legacy ‘Plus’ applications offered an option to either set the period between automatic update checks or disable them completely.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Serif, please let me describe the change in detail. You don't need to implement a notification system. My proposal is just a tiny change.

1. Locate the code where the dialog would be displayed. Extract the dialog into a method which can be manually opened later. Instead of showing the dialog now, store the update information in a variable (e.g. just a boolean).

2. Add a button to the toolbar with an update icon. Show this button, if the update info value is present (e.g. true). Show the update dialog when the button is clicked. Done!

What do you think? It's a lightweight implementation. You don't need to implement a notification system or use the OS notification system. Just let the current update dialog hidden and only show the icon as update indication. When the user clicks on it, show the update dialog as you currently have. It's a fair solution or not?

If you don't like this: Add an option to disable the update check on launch and only show it, when the user clicks on menu "Help > Check for Update".

demo.png